(SOLVED)How to Make a Bootable Windows 8 USB in Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crossroads

(SOLVED)How to Make a Bootable Windows 8 USB in Linux

Post by crossroads »

I'm going to college in the fall to finish a B.S. in Geomatics Engineering, and I need windows to run auto cad, and mathematica, etc. I've been trying for better than a week to use Virtual box and VMware to install windows 7 and 8. I can't seem to make a bootable windows stick that is recognized by either software. I've googled for hours, tried xbox, UBootin, winsub, several others, estimated time put in so far ... about 5 days. I'm exhausted. I'm using a Lenovo x140 e with an AMD64 processor, 8 gig ram, Mint 17.2. In the past I've had good luck in this forum, but lately no one seems to want to respond. Seriously folks if I cant get a VM going I'm probably going to have to (1) revert to windows, (2) use an external hard drive via USB, but if I cant get the Linux host to release the USB, then what is the point. BTW, I was happier than a pig in mud with 17.1. 17.2 not so good. Boot up is slower, and 17.2 just seems to act differently. My apologies, but I have never had this much difficulty resolving an issue in Linux, and its breaking my back! My last two post have gone unanswered. I have depended 100% on this forum for help over the last two years, and fear if I can't get an answer here, I'm probably gone. Sorry!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to Make a Bootable Windows 8 USB in Linux

Post by Fred Barclay »

You don't need a bootable usb stick for Windows in VBox. All you need is the iso.

I've got Vista, 7, and 10TP running in VBox.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
crossroads

Post by crossroads »

Mr. Barclay,

I've read your posts in this forum in the past. To say the least, I'm grateful for your comments and help. My last attempt was to use Gparted to format my stick to NTSF, mount and flag for boot then copy the .iso to the USB. Didn't work. Set myself up in groups, etc, Virtualbox sees the devices and the filters I've set up. What am I doing wrong? Should I format the stick FAT32?, and how do I mount the ,iso? I keep getting a no bootable device found message. Thanks
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

crossroads wrote:Mr. Barclay,

I've read your posts in this forum in the past. To say the least, I'm grateful for your comments and help.
Thanks for that last bit. Normally when someone starts, "I've read your posts in this forum in the past,..." they are about to add "why don't you just run along and quit wasting our time here". :lol:

What I meant to say is, you don't need a usb stick at all. All you need to do is download the iso file (if you don't have a Windows 8 DVD), and then start up VBox. Create a new machine called, say, Win8. Once you finish the creation process, start the VM. It'll ask you what file you want to start with; navigate to and choose the iso file. The Windows 8 installation script will start up and you can install it just like a physical machine.
So in a nutshell, VBox has built-in utilities that keep you from having to make a usb. It can read the iso file as if it were an installation usb.\

A useful link (I hope):
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-8-in-VirtualBox
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I copied and paste my old post below.

Re: How to create Win 8 bootable USB

Postby wayne128 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:44 pm

arturas_f wrote:
Also it says now that it is a UDF volume. Any thoughts how can I make bootable USB WINDOWS 8.1 using Linux Mint?

The best and reliable way is to use Windows OS with MS's tool to make bootable USB from win8 iso.
There are many other windows tools, a few of them are good too.
But if you MUST use Linux, here are a few ways I normally used, with high chance of success.
It worked for all version of Win7 and Win8/8.1 for me.

1. use old version of unetbootin, version 471 or 494
format USB flash to NTFS.. remember NTFS
then, standard procedure to copy by unetbootin
when complete, reboot , choose USB, it should boot and run windows installer
2. use latest version of unetbootin in the Linux distros, which is likely NOT supporting NTFS, but the work around is like this
a. format USB flash to FAT32.
b. run unetbootin, choose Win iso file, then leave unetbootin windows open
c. open another terminal, format the USB flash to NTFS
d. mount the USB flash with the designation of the now-NTFS formatted USB flash
e. proceed to unetbootin open-windows, click to Apply/OK... it will copy into NTFS formatted usb flash and install boot loader for you.
at the end the USB flash will boot into windows installer
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

@wayne128: thanks for the post! However, if I'm not mistaken, the OP wanted help on installing Windows 8 to Virtual Box, which doesn't need a usb installation medium (I don't even know how to do it that way) but only an .iso file. The title of this thread is misleading in that regard, but I think the OP thought that a bootable Win 8 usb was needed for VBox.
Sorry if I misunderstood either you or the OP, and again, thanks for your input. I just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding.... ;)
Fred
- Albert Einstein
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Fred Barclay wrote:@wayne128:I just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding.... ;)
Fred
Hi Fred,
Thanks for your post too.

I read title.... and responded...

On second read, yes, you are correct , the OP wants help on how to install in Virtual box, which does not require a preparation of bootable-USB-flash...all he needs is run virtualbox, and install from Windows iso.

Anyway since I have posted the way to prepare a bootable-usb-flash-with-win7/8, I just leave it there... it is useful for people who need it to install into the hard disk.

Best regards,
Wayne
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Fred Barclay wrote:if I'm not mistaken, the OP wanted help on installing Windows 8 to Virtual Box
That was my interpretation of the post :?
crossroads

Post by crossroads »

Thank you, and I am looking to run windows 8 in Virtualbox. Wayne128, I actually found your original post and attempted that solution. The older version of UNebootin would not install, and I believe the newer versions of Gparted and Unebootin will format to NFIS. Fred Barclay, I've assigned myself as a group, and set the filters for the devices, etc. VM sees the USB, and starts an install, but hangs at the start of the process. I might need new USB stick, or I have a corrupted .iso file.

EDIT: Still no joy. I keep getting an error message that no bootable medium is found.
Last edited by crossroads on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hope it works out for you!

(You do know you don't need a usb at all, right?)
- Albert Einstein
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Sure OP doesn't want to create an USB W8 installation media, but I don't understand what he is trying. It is like he wants to make a USB device with W8 preinstalled , with all the apps ready to plug and work (as a Windows to Go), that's because is talking about USB creators. Maybe he is trying to put Windows8 VM in USB device because has no room in laptop's disk (really doesn't need Unetbootin) or wants to boot from W8 VM w/o entering in Mint's Vbox, so trying to convert W8 VM in a "bootable" drive. :?:
crossroads

Post by crossroads »

The following error message occurs when I attempt installing the .iso from my hard drive.

Load drive -- A required CD/DVD device driver is missing ....
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Where is the .iso from? Did you download it or is it from a DVD?
- Albert Einstein
crossroads

(SOLVED) Re: How to Make a Bootable Windows 8 USB in Linux

Post by crossroads »

I have a legit license for both windows 7 and windows 8.1 pro from purchases I made for two Lenovo laptops. One (this one) which I'm using virtualbox and does not have a CD. Short and skinny. I got it to work. The solution was simple (as are most with Linux Mint). Apparently my original .iso was corrupted.

My thanks to all of you for pointing me to the obvious solution. I use and rely on Linux Mint only because of the help I've received from this forum over the last two years.

Fred Barclay ... you rock!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Great news! I hope the classes go well. :)

If I may make a suggestion on the practical side, it might not hurt to install Windows 7 in a VM as well (even if you never use it) so you can upgrade it to Windows 10 within the year-long option period. That way, you have a second Windows if you need it; or, if you know of someone else who runs Linux and needs a Windows VM but doesn't have a license, you can give it to them if you don't need it.
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Beginner Questions”