Level 5 entries in Update Manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

Level 5 entries in Update Manager

Post by walterdowis »

Hello, In the Update Manager I sometimes see a Level 5 entry which is unchecked. Usually it is a Linux-Firmware update. Should I check this entry or leave it unchecked? If I check it and there is a problem, how do I back out of the Linux-Firmware update? Thanks.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Level 5 entries in Update Manager

Post by Pjotr »

Don't install level 5 updates if you don't need them (which is usually the case for that level). In your case I'd simply make level 4 and 5 invisible.

For the how-to, see this explanation of Update Manager:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

You can't roll back an update, by the way. Done is done.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

because this isn't the flashiest 'net connection - all Level Three updates are 'hidden' as well.
- that's Level 3 - 4 - 5 :o

if any of the missing updates are really needed - run Synaptic - which will install all of them ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Pierre wrote:because this isn't the flashiest 'net connection - all Level Three updates are 'hidden' as well.
That's a risk that I personally wouldn't want to take....
There's some stuff in level 3 which poses high risks when not updated. :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jonnymoon96
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonnymoon96 »

I only do level 1 updates level 2 updates and level 3 updates

4 and 5 are very risky updates
mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrdachshund86 »

While Level 5 updates rarely break things (*buntu distros don't classify the updates, it just does all of 'em), unless the computer is handling very sensitive data, or anything like that, not installing the latest level 4 and 5 updates won't really hurt anything.

If you need the latest update for something to work, install it, but otherwise, you'll be perfectly fine with slightly older software.

mrdachshund86
Justinian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Justinian »

Pjotr wrote:You can't roll back an update, by the way. Done is done.
You can roll back an update (although the process is far from convenient) if the old versions of the affected packages are still in the repositories:
1. Find out which individual packages were affected by the update in question. One way to do this would be to open the Update Manager, and select "View" -> "History of updates". Note that the Update Manager does not tell you which packages belong to which updates, so you may need to guess or do further research to be sure.
2. Using Synaptic Package Manager, select "Package" -> "Force Version..." for each of the affected packages. In each case, set the package to its previous version.

However, it is important to note that you cannot downgrade to a package version that is no longer in the repository. For example, you can downgrade Firefox 40.0 to version 28.0, because the 28.0 packages are still in the repository (since this is the version that originally shipped with Ubuntu 14.04). However, you cannot downgrade Firefox 40.0 to version 39.0.3, 39.0, 38.0, etc. as these versions are no longer in the repository.
johnnymoon96 wrote:I only do level 1 updates level 2 updates and level 3 updates

4 and 5 are very risky updates
The same goes for me.

That being said, it is worth mentioning that I recently had severe issues with a Level 3 update to "nvidia-graphics-drivers-340" (see this thread for details). I am not the only person to have had problems with this update; see this thread. Personally, I think this update should have been classified as Level 4 (and now that there are confirmed cases of the update causing problems, I think it should be classified as Level 5).
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Justinian wrote: However, it is important to note that you cannot downgrade to a package version that is no longer in the repository. For example, you can downgrade Firefox 40.0 to version 28.0, because the 28.0 packages are still in the repository (since this is the version that originally shipped with Ubuntu 14.04). However, you cannot downgrade Firefox 40.0 to version 39.0.3, 39.0, 38.0, etc. as these versions are no longer in the repository.
This is not fully true. As you know before installing a package, you download it. This 'residue' is not deleted (except if you delete it) and therefore can be used to downgrade a package that is not available in the repo anymore. I did it several times for flash for example.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Justinian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Justinian »

killer de bug wrote:This is not fully true. As you know before installing a package, you download it. This 'residue' is not deleted (except if you delete it) and therefore can be used to downgrade a package that is not available in the repo anymore. I did it several times for flash for example.
I was not aware of that; thank you for pointing that out.

The thing is, how would you go about downgrading to a residue package? You definitely cannot do it using the Update Manager or Synaptic Package Manager. Can you use apt-get, or would you need to resort to using dpkg?
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Just find the package in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and install it.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Justinian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Justinian »

killer de bug wrote:Just find the package in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and install it.
I took a look at that folder, and I did indeed find plenty of old packages; however, it is worth mentioning that not all old packages are present in that folder. For example, I cannot find any packages relating to GRUB, LibreOffice, p7zip or VirtualBox, even though I have definitely received updates for them in the past. However, I did find Firefox 39.0.3, even though it is no longer available in the repository.

Return to “Newbie Questions”