Graphical Corruption

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Torpov
Level 1
Level 1

Graphical Corruption

Post by Torpov » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:21 pm

I've been using Mint on my Macbook (Macbook1,1), and since yesterday, I've been getting graphical glitches in Gnome. I can get to the login screen without a problem, but once I get to my desktop, my wireless connects, giving me the box telling me that everything's connected, but the box is a wonderful rainbow, then turns black. Bringing up Do, any menu, or even selecting things on the desktop just brings up black boxes. I'm guessing it's due to Compiz, but since I'm unable to disable things through Gnome and have very little idea as to the usage of the terminal, I have no idea how to disable Compiz (either through the terminal or through blind clicking/typing) or fix whatever other problem exists.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Graphical Corruption

Post by Husse » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:51 pm

If you do not autologin select Safe Gnome at GDM (the login window)
If it indeed is compiz its not started and you should be able to change the settting
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Torpov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Torpov » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:15 pm

I guess it wasn't Compiz, since that produced the same results.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:17 am

OK start in rescue mode and use the "Fix graphics" option there
If that does not help run lspci (in a terminal) and post the result (right click for copying) and it may be possible to figure something out
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Newbie Questions”