Dual boot Windows 10 Fresh install with LM 17.2

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
battlecat
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot Windows 10 Fresh install with LM 17.2

Post by battlecat » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 am

Hello:

I have been searching for this on google but have not found a FAQ on it. I want to be able to dual boot a freshly installed Windows 10 (from DVD) alongside Linux Mint 17.2 on the same SATA harddrive.

I have partitioned the hard drive into two partitions. One is for Windows 10 the other is Linux mint 17.2

I have installed Windows 10 to the first partition. Success.

I have installed Linux Minut to the second partition with a root and a home partition created on that one.

When I reboot the GRUB menu has the linux partitions listed but only a windows recovery option. No option to boot into Windows 10.

Can anyone offer any ideas or suggestions or sites that directly deal with windows 10 and LM 17.2?

Thanks!
bc

crossroads
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Dual boot Windows 10 Fresh install with LM 17.2

Post by crossroads » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:12 am

Found an answer from a Microsoft post that might be helpful. I struggled with dual boot scenario myself.
n a Dual-Boot Scenario, Windows Technical Preview must be installed on the second or third partition of the Hard Drive, since it is the newer operating system. Regardless, of what partition you installed Windows Technical Preview on, it will take the C:\ Drive Name and rename the original C:\ partition, a different name within Windows Technical Preview.

Then, when installing on the first partition, you will lose the ability to dual-boot.

Adding:

In a Dual-Boot Scenario, Windows 10 Technical Preview must be installed on a partition, other than the first partition. It can indeed be installed on a partition before a partition with an existing operating system partition. I use Drive C: before installing Windows 10 Technical Preview to Hold My Documents Folder and the Boot information for the Hard Drive itself.

Now, to access the older operating systems, just select Other Existing Operating Systems at boot and the system will reboot and take you to the other operating system. Just make sure to select the correct operating system.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 2ce?auth=1
LinuxMint 17.1 (rebecca) Lenovo X140e. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics. 800.000 MHz.

It isn't what you know, it's what you think you know that ain't so which gets you in trouble" -- Mark Twain

battlecat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by battlecat » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:17 am

Hello:

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't offer a solution or suggestions.

thank you,
BC

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:28 am

I suggest you check the hard disk partition first.

To do this, please boot computer with DVD or USB of LM.iso, then open a terminal, type a few commands, copy the output of the terminal and paste on this forum:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l

sudo fdisk -l

sudo os-prober

battlecat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by battlecat » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 am

Hello:

Thanks for this suggestion but in my frustration and need to use the computer. I ended up wiping the whole drive and installing LM 17.2 fresh just to use the computer without any issues.

I had planned to start over from scratch tonight. So I do not think that any of what your interested in knowing is left. Sorry.

Thanks,
BC

Return to “Newbie Questions”