[SOLVED] How to solve 'maximum of 4 partitions reached'

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Stoosh
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to solve 'maximum of 4 partitions reached'

Post by Stoosh » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:12 am

I am running a dual-boot between Linux Mint and W8.

I wanted to partition my hdd so that I would have a 120Gb partition for my windows, a 70Gb partition for my LM17 and what is left would become my data storage space.

I ran into a problem as gparted told I could not have anymore than 4 primary partitions. (screenshot)

What is happening here, and how should I solve this, please?

(The ever returning response when talking about dual-booting systems "use windows in a VM" is not an option.)
Attachments
faultmsg.png
faultmessage
Gparted.png
Current hdd partitioning in Gparted
Last edited by Stoosh on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to solve 'maximum of 4 partitions reached'

Post by ninomrki » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:22 am

That's normal. The original partitioning scheme for PC hard disks allowed only four partitions, thus you are allowed up to 4 primary partitions. To overcome this limitation, extended partitions are used. A single primary partition may be "converted" into an "extended" partition which is then further divided into sub-partitions called logical partitions. Basically, you should put Linux system and swap partitions into the same "extended" partition
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:26 am

Stoosh wrote:I wanted to partition my hdd so that I would have a 120Gb partition for my windows, a 70Gb partition for my LM17 and what is left would become my data storage space.
sda1 is your Windows boot partition
sda2 is your 120 GiB Windows partition
sda3 is your 70 GiB Linux partition
<739 GiB unallocated disk space>
sda4 is your extended partition, in which you have sda5 as the logical partition for Linux swap

The problem is you can only have 4 primary partitions, one of which may be an extended partition. You can not create more primary partitions. What you can do is have more logical partitions inside the extended partition.

So, using Gparted, increase the size of sda4 (the extended partition) to absorb the unallocated disk space before it. After doing that you will see this unallocated disk space has moved inside sda4. You can then create a new logical partition from that unallocated disk space inside sda4. This will become sda6.

Now I assume Windows can handle logical partitions, assuming you want to share the new partition between Linux and Windows. While Linux can handle Windows filesystems (or any operating system's file systems), Windows can't handle file systems except Windows ones. So you'd be forced to use NTFS for this new partition. That does increase the chance of data loss and errors, so do be sure to make frequent backups if you'll put anything on this new partition you don't want to lose.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:30 am

--- message removed (partly incorrect).
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:02 am

Pjotr wrote:then delete sda5
I don't use swap, but won't this mess up booting Linux Mint when you delete its configured swap partition?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:05 am

xenopeek wrote:
Pjotr wrote:then delete sda5
I don't use swap, but won't this mess up booting Linux Mint when you delete its configured swap partition?
You're right.... I didn't read too carefully. I'll delete my previous message. :P
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Stoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stoosh » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:16 am

You assumed correctly. I indeed intend to use the Data partition as a way of shared storage between both os.

While I managed to merge the unallocated space with the sda4 partition, I wonder if it would be possible ( and perhaps more logical) to house both sda1 and sda2 partitions unde 1 sda, en then do the same with the linux and swap partition.

so that :
SDA1 = boot and windows
SDA2 = linux + swap
SDA3 = data

However, will the OS still be able to find the right partition without problems?

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:32 am

I don't think there is an easy way to combine SDA1 & SDA2 without doing a complete re-install of your Win installation. The method described by Xenopeek will work just fine and is the most time efficient way to accomplish what you are trying to do.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Stoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stoosh » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 am

It worked, I now have access to my data hdd!

Thank you all!

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED] How to solve 'maximum of 4 partitions reached'

Post by Reorx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:10 am

Updated Gparted screenshot?

Image Image

Stoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stoosh » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Reorx wrote:Updated Gparted screenshot?
As requested ;)

It would be cool if I could move /sda5 (swap) under /sda3 but I am a bit scared of breaking my system.
Attachments
partition-update.png

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Stoosh wrote:It would be cool if I could move /sda5 (swap) under /sda3 but I am a bit scared of breaking my system.
The force is strong with you young padawan! You are wise beyond your years... :mrgreen:

In a year or 2 when you are ready to wipe Win entirely and "go commando" with Linux, you can and will re-arrange your partitioning... and if your data is on SDA6, you won't even have to back up your data! :D

LM18 should come out in the spring or early summer of 2016 (if the Mint team stays with an Ubu base) and will likely require a clean install (as opposed to upgrading point releases of LM17.x at the click of a button or two). That would be the logical time to go commando & overhaul your partitioning.

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

Image Image

Stoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stoosh » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Thank you reorx for your wise words.

I am looking forward to going commando, but I would need to quit fidgeting with settings I don't know much about. (Next step is a VMbox for testing things! )

I doubt I will ever be able to fully leave the Win environment as I have some occasional mechanical and electrical CAD tasks with Win-only software that I doubt will run comfortably in a VM.. The biggest problem is that I cannot get my ATI drivers to work in Mint. Each time I try, I break the whole LM environment and need to re-install the whole mess.

Maybe one day, but only time can tell! ;)

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:20 pm

1)
vb.png
- you know what to do... :mrgreen:

2) Yeah, I need Win to update my GPS maps - BUT you only need to keep one machine dual booting for win-only tasks!

3) For your next machine, get something ATI-free. I'm not even convinced that you need a dedicated GPU unless you are doing something that is video intense. I run Mint on multiple laptops and none of them have a dedicated GPU. I am happy with their performance although admittedly I don't do anything that is too graphics intense.

Image Image

Stoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stoosh » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 am

Reorx wrote:1)
3) For your next machine, get something ATI-free. ...
I would recommend too. AND be sure to stay away from SAMSUNG laptops. My WIN-OS failed after the W8.1 update was pushed to my pc, but I could not claim any warranty as I had partitioned my pc in a Win and a data partition, which voids warranty according to their help desk. :evil:
Moreover, my current W8.1 doesn't recognise my ATI card either. So basically I now have an overpriced heater that I carry around...

Ooh, the trauma's.... :P

It is the reason that I switched to mint for my everyday tasks.

Reorx wrote:1)
I'm not even convinced that you need a dedicated GPU unless you are doing something that is video intense. I run Mint on multiple laptops and none of them have a dedicated GPU. I am happy with their performance although admittedly I don't do anything that is too graphics intense.
That is the reason I still prefer a Win environment over a VM, as I do some CAD prototyping in Inventor. My Intel I5 and 4GB ram get stressed quite hard when rendering the objects with their surface finishing etc.
And Wine... I'm too inexperienced to get this working. And to be honest, I'm quite scared of instabilities. I can't afford to lose my work. :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”