Is it safe to update Kernel on Mint 17.2?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
renzor
Level 1
Level 1

Is it safe to update Kernel on Mint 17.2?

Post by renzor »

It seems the current kernel is 3.16 but the latest stable that's out is 4.15 which has quite a few improvements and security fixes. Is it dangerous to update or would it be possible to update this as smoothly as any other program installation?

Thanks
ras47
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is it safe to update Kernel on Mint 17.2?

Post by ras47 »

One thing I love about Linux in general is the attitude, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've got Mint 17.2 with the 3.16.0-38 kernel dialed in beautifully. I'm loving how perfectly everything works right now and dread the idea of updating the kernel. There would have to be some major increase in capabilities of a new kernel or some urgent fix for security to get me to even consider it.

I was a BlackBerry user for 10+ years, and for a number of those years I felt an almost pathological need to update my device to whatever the latest OS version was available. But every time, something got improved/fixed while something else got broken. Life on the bleeding edge can be painful, and eventually I just grew out of the need to be there. Now I love what just plain works. :mrgreen:
Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon), Yoga3Pro | 8GB | 256GB | CoreM 5Y71@1.2GHz
Aceoky
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is it safe to update Kernel on Mint 17.2?

Post by Aceoky »

I agree with the old adage "IF it ain't broken don't keep fixing it until it is broken"

Return to “Newbie Questions”