bios boot sequence required for external hard drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
valentine
Level 1
Level 1

bios boot sequence required for external hard drive

Post by valentine » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi I am running windows XP & Ubuntu 8.10 on a dual boot, the boot sequence,the bios is set to boot from CD .
I want to install Linux 5.5 on to a empty external 160 gb hard drive which is powered from a USB cable connected to the laptop. I assume if I will have to alter the boot sequence to boot from the USB port once Linux mint is installed ?

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: bios boot sequence required for external hard drive

Post by Fornhamfred » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi

Yes you would have to alter the bios sequence which I assume is at present CD then HD. When you install Mint it will check on the system to see if any other distros are present (incl. windows) and add them to the grub menu.lst. You can then boot into whichever operating system you require.

valentine
Level 1
Level 1

Re: bios boot sequence required for external hard drive

Post by valentine » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:39 am

Thank you for taking the timeto reply to my query I shall now try to install Linux Mint .( fingers crossed)

Return to “Newbie Questions”