Did I choose the wrong distro?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Did I choose the wrong distro?

Post by phd21 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi martienne,

Welcome to Linux Mint and its wonderful forum.

Obviously, we are all surprised, and sorry, to hear that you seem to be having some difficulty installing Linux Mint. You should not have to remove the Nvidia card either. It is recommended to turn of "secure boot" in the bios. Most people can install Linux Mint in minutes on their systems. The people here can and will try to help you.

You might consider creating Live DVD's (or USB flash drives) of each edition of Linux Mint: Cinnamon 17.2, Mate 17.2, KDE 17.2 (my Favorite.), or Xfce 17.2; 32-bit or 64-bit depending upon your CPU processor. Linux Mint versions 17.2 are brand new versions, 17.1 is also available with long term support. Then, boot up to each one and see if one edition of Linux Mint performs better for your hardware and that you like the most. If you get "software rendering", or end up in "compatibility mode", then that edition of Linux Mint is having a problem with your video setup that may be resolved by installing special video drivers or not; In these modes your system will not run well.

All of the wonderful editions of Linux Mint can handle what you want to do with your computer. And, since you have very capable hardware, I would personally recommend Cinnamon or KDE desktops for multi-media stuff. I use the Linux Mint KDE 17.1 desktop and I love it.

Good Luck, stay positive, keep us posted ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

martienne
Level 4
Level 4

Post by martienne » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:47 pm

David Black wrote:Hi martienne, welcome to Mint and the Mint forum! :)

Since you are technically advanced, (if already have Windows OS installed) would it help to first try installing and using Mint with virtualization software such as VMware Player (now called VMware Workstation Player (it's free for personal use)) or VirtualBox? You can then experiment with different install settings safe in the knowledge that it's just a virtual machine. Once happy with the install process and how Mint functions, try installing Mint on your host system.

Either way, we can help you step by step with installing Mint, and get you up and running. Don't feel afraid to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may sound, there's always something new and interesting to learn!

David
Hmmm, I don't know about VMWare, I have almost no experience of it, and I've always been suspicious about the concept. I think my problem is that I DON'T have a vanilla environment, and probably the whole environment is too contaminated with Windows, for Mint's tastes...

Right now I think I'm going to try this Bootloader fixer for Grub2.
If that doesn't work I'll force myself to quit and enjoy my evening with something relaxing.... I just get so angry when tech doesn't work!

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:53 pm

martienne wrote: Hmmm, I don't know about VMWare, I have almost no experience of it, and I've always been suspicious about the concept. I think my problem is that I DON'T have a vanilla environment, and probably the whole environment is too contaminated with Windows, for Mint's tastes...

If that doesn't work I'll force myself to quit and enjoy my evening with something relaxing.... I just get so angry when tech doesn't work!
Me too, particularly as I just wrote you a long involved reply to your problems from a coffee shop, and their wi-fi went down and caused all my "brilliant" prose to fall in a black hole! Grrrrrr!

Anyway, maybe I'll try to recreate it later. In the mean time, main points. Stay away (for now) from VMWare, unplug ALL the hard drives in your computer except the one you will use, and do the items in the "freezes" section of this notice:
http://linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_mate.php

martienne
Level 4
Level 4

Post by martienne » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:50 am

waldo wrote:
martienne wrote: Hmmm, I don't know about VMWare, I have almost no experience of it, and I've always been suspicious about the concept. I think my problem is that I DON'T have a vanilla environment, and probably the whole environment is too contaminated with Windows, for Mint's tastes...

Me too, particularly as I just wrote you a long involved reply to your problems from a coffee shop, and their wi-fi went down and caused all my "brilliant" prose to fall in a black hole! Grrrrrr!

Anyway, maybe I'll try to recreate it later. In the mean time, main points. Stay away (for now) from VMWare, unplug ALL the hard drives in your computer except the one you will use, and do the items in the "freezes" section of this notice:
http://linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_mate.php
Thank you for writing a response! I am just so happy about all the great advice.
Ran into some kids in the IRC and almost thought for a while that I was on my own - but I've got some fantastic advise here.

I'm going to summarise it all, write up an "action plan" (after all, I'm an IT project manager, lol) and then print it out and just methodically go through all of it.
and then methodically try it out. I've got high hopes now that I can get to the bottom of the problems.
Maybe there is a future for me in Linux....

Return to “Newbie Questions”