Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Lentejas
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by Lentejas »

Hi, guys. I convinced a friend to leave Windows XP and give a try to Linux :D
Because the best distro I've seen is Linux Mint, I was thinking in installing it on his old laptop. But I have a question: i know Xfce is a light environment, but is it good for an old laptop with 1 GB of RAM and Intel Atom? I don't want to give him a bad distro for his laptop and get disappointed about Linux.

Oh, and I've been trying to access to the Linux Mint blog to see the requirements, but for some reason the page doesn't load.
User avatar
Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

friend?, get your friend in this forum. let him have a Q&A with the members here. pretty good group of members around here. sounds like a netbook rather than a laptop. your thinking correctly by choosing a lite distro. heres a good thread for lite distros.


edited, oops :shock: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=201142

best regards, T2L :mrgreen:
Lentejas
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by Lentejas »

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:friend?, get your friend in this forum. let him have a Q&A with the members here. pretty good group of members around here. sounds like a netbook rather than a laptop. your thinking correctly by choosing a lite distro. heres a good thread for lite distros.


edited, oops :shock: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=201142

best regards, T2L :mrgreen:
Meh, he doesn't like all this software stuff. All he wants is a new OS and work with it immediately. He wouldn't like a Q&A, I'm afraid :/ I've been also considering LXLE, but I've had some problems with its installation in an old desktop in the last days, so I want to use a safety option that doesn't make him get scare about Linux :P
mrdachshund86
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by mrdachshund86 »

With those specs, I would probably say you're better off with Mint Xfce. Another one you could look at is Xubuntu 14.04, though there shouldn't be any issues with Mint.
Lentejas wrote:Oh, and I've been trying to access to the Linux Mint blog to see the requirements, but for some reason the page doesn't load.
The requirements wouldn't have helped much anyways, they're overly optimistic. For example, the minimal requirements for Cinnamon is 512MB of RAM. With 512MB, it might run, but it won't be able to do much other than look pretty. Stick with xfce.

mrdachshund86
Lentejas
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by Lentejas »

mrdachshund86 wrote:With those specs, I would probably say you're better off with Mint Xfce. Another one you could look at is Xubuntu 14.04, though there shouldn't be any issues with Mint.

mrdachshund86
Ok, then. I'm gonna try it with Linux Mint Xfce. Hope my friends like it :D
BlackVeils
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 am

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by BlackVeils »

i put linux mint xfce on an older netbook, and it runs very well. 1gb of ram is definitely a comfortable amount on there!
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by wwfwng »

My older laptop does fine with Mint 13. Mint 15 seemed to slow it down a bit. So I reinstalled 13 and it did fine again. I never tried 17.
themoose
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by themoose »

Lentejas wrote:Hi, guys. I convinced a friend to leave Windows XP and give a try to Linux :D
Because the best distro I've seen is Linux Mint, I was thinking in installing it on his old laptop. But I have a question: i know Xfce is a light environment, but is it good for an old laptop with 1 GB of RAM and Intel Atom? I don't want to give him a bad distro for his laptop and get disappointed about Linux.

Oh, and I've been trying to access to the Linux Mint blog to see the requirements, but for some reason the page doesn't load.
I recently installed Linux Mint 17.2 Mate on my old Dell Mini 10v (Intel Atom Core-duo, 1 GB RAM) and it works great. Only minor issue I had was updating the video driver
oxygenfarm
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Cincinnati OH

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by oxygenfarm »

I have Mint xfce 17.2 on a pair of Asus eeePCs with only 1 gb RAM, dual booted with Elementary 3. Works pretty well.
User avatar
ofb
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: Linux Mint for an older laptop, is it a good idea?

Post by ofb »

Recent performance comparison of the Mint desktop editions:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1041144

Oddly enough, that's on an Atom with 1GB.
Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”