Video tearing - Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Video tearing - Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Post by Pjotr »

JoliLeChat wrote:I have a notebook Acer Aspire V5-123 (AMD E1 with Radeon HD 8210) and it is having tearing issues while playing videos.
Could you please help me to fix it?
From the menu, launch Driver Manager. Does it offer you a closed non-free fglrx driver for your video card? If so, install it and reboot.

Does that help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
agdo21

Post by agdo21 »

I'm on LM 17.2 with Cinnamon, I have been looking everywhere and I can't solve the issue.

My Nvidia Geforce GTX 850m issues are:
-Random freezing( I use Crt+Alt+Backspace to unfreeze).
-xorg.conf settings through the X server settings window do not get saved (no solution in the internet has helped).
-Tearing on everything( window moving, video in Smplayer, video online in Firefox and Chromium, Scrolling in both Firefox and Chromium)
-no vsync settings on the Nvidia Xserver settings Window.

My driver and system info is:

(System Info)
-System: Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit
-Cinnamon: 2.6.13
-Linux Kernel: 3.19.0-26-generic
-Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40Ghz x 4
-Memory: 7.7 GiB
-Hard Drives: 551.3 GiB
-Graphics Card: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (Should it also state my Nvidia GeForce GTX 850m?)

(Driver Manager)
-Driver Version: 355.06-0ubuntu0~xedgers14.04.1 (NVIDIA binary driver - version 355.06)

Its in Dual Boot with Windows 10 (Major issues with that OS....).

Anybody got a solution? Please :D
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Think I found a fix for myself.

Did you install the fglrx proprietary driver? Do that with the driver manager.
Menu -> Administration -> Driver Manager

Today I found a setting in the ATI control panel.
Menu -> Preferences -> AMD Catalyst Control Center (Administration)
Under Display Options there is a section for a Tear Free setting.
It seems to be connected to the vertical sync setting under 3D -> More Settings.

I just found those options today and I think they helped, but I haven't watched enough youtube to know for sure.

Edit:
Just noticed the second user was nVidia. Above only works for ATI obviously. Maybe nVidia has a similar setting?

Return to “Beginner Questions”