Youtube full screen not working well

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Responsive
Level 2
Level 2

Youtube full screen not working well

Post by Responsive »

I have two LinuxMint computers. One is a 32bit Mate for personal stuff, and the other is a 64bit Cinnamon for work.

The 32bit Mate, when I press full screen on the Youtube website, the video is not watchable. It stops and stutters.

On the 64bit Cinnamon, the video plays OK, but pressing play, pause, and exit doesnt work properly. I dont know how to explain this. I might press pause and it doesnt pause.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?
How do we fix it so videos on Youtube play properly?
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Youtube full screen not working well

Post by Shryp »

I am using 17.2 x64 Cinnamon and it is working for me. Did you install the proprietary video card driver?

Try clicking Menu -> Administration -> Driver Manager.

That will list all the available proprietary drivers you can try. Look for one for your video card and click on that. You will probably have to reboot to see a change.

Another idea is to try Chromium or Google Chrome. Chrome has always worked better for me than Firefox, especially with Youtube.
Chromium is available in the normal software manager. Google's version you will need to get directly from them.
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... index.html
Responsive
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Responsive »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CP7QSr-WIAAqt6d.png

Does this mean my video card is AMD/ATI?

When I switch to the recommended driver, my cpu goes into rendering mode. When change the driver, the computer screen looks better, but I still have a youtube problem. I dont have the problem watching videos from my desktop. I will look for a new browser. I want to avoid Google products. Very slowly weening off them.
Responsive
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Responsive »

Youtube works so much better with the Vivaldi browser. It is a bit card on the eyes, but I will test this browser for a week.
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shryp »

I believe you are suppose to use the regular fglrx and not the fglrx-updates one.

As for Google, the Chromium browser is the open source version of Google Chrome. It is very similar, but it is what it looks like before Google ads their own custom stuff to it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”