"Log me on automatically each visit" does not work for me

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplex

"Log me on automatically each visit" does not work for me

Post by simplex »

The topic says it all. I have cookies enabled for linuxmint.com. Nevertheless, no matter how often I activate the select box, I have to login by hand on the next session. Or how is "Log me on automatically each visit" to be understood?

S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: "Log me on automatically each visit" does not work for m

Post by jimallyn »

I have never found that to work on any online forums, not on several different computers, running several different operating systems. I gave up on it years ago. I also found that most forums will log you out if you are inactive for any length of time, sometimes as little as 10 or 15 minutes.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

jimallyn wrote:I have never found that to work on any online forums, not on several different computers, running several different operating systems. I gave up on it years ago. I also found that most forums will log you out if you are inactive for any length of time, sometimes as little as 10 or 15 minutes.
My experience has been exactly the opposite! That feature works for me on every forum I visit and it has been working (at least) ever since I converted to Mint "full time" about 4 years ago... curious...

(I have no explanation as to why our experiences are different)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Has to be something with cookies. Something is clearing your browser cookies. It could be the way your browser is configured, an ad on you are using or some kind of privacy program.
simplex

Post by simplex »

Shryp wrote:Has to be something with cookies. Something is clearing your browser cookies. It could be the way your browser is configured, an ad on you are using or some kind of privacy program.
I use CookieMonster, but have set it to allow cookies from linuxmint.com (all cookies, not only session cookies). (?)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Simplex;

All your "customizations" for FireFox reside in your FF profile which resides in the home folder for each user. The name of the folder is .mozilla. The dot a the beginning of the name makes the folder hidden. You can see the folder in your file manager by pressing Ctrl+h (toggles hidden file/folder "visibility").

As a simple experiment:
1) Close FF
2) Open your file manager; press Ctrl+h; rename the .mozilla folder to .mozilla-simplex
3) Open FF. When FF opens and .mozilla does not exist, it will create a "default" .mozilla folder (with no customization).
4) Using FF, navigate to the Mint forums and log in with the automatic login option selected... Then close FF...
5) Re start FF and navigate to the Mint forums again - does the automatic login work? If so, you can safely assume the problem is in you configuration somewhere... now all you have to do is find/fix it! :mrgreen:

Note: to get back to your current configuration, rename the .mozilla folder to .mozilla-test and then rename the .mozilla-simplex folder to .mozilla - once the test folder has out lived its usefulness, you can delete it.

Post back with results... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
simplex

Post by simplex »

Reorx wrote: 2) Open your file manager; press Ctrl+h; rename the .mozilla folder to .mozilla-simplex
That was a wonderful idea, and I am little bit ashamed that it did not come to my own mind (and I know how to use the command line). You are absolutely right: With a fresh .mozilla folder, I am logged in each time I visit forums.linuxmint.org in a Firefox session, as long as I do not explicitly log out.

What to do now? Recursively grep .mozilla for the string "linuxmint.org"?

Thank you,
S.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Change back to use .mozilla-simplex and look In FF > Preferences > Privacy, what is "History" set to? Mine is set to remember history...
ffhx.png

Image Image Image
simplex

[SOLVED] "Log me on automatically each visit" does not work

Post by simplex »

So is mine...

BTW: The following exchanges of .mozilla <-> .mozilla-simplex somehow destroyed all my FF data. Fortunately, I could restore everything via synchronizations of FFs on on my other machines:

Code: Select all

$ mv .mozilla/ .mozilla-simplex
$ mv .mozilla-simplex .mozilla
$ mv .mozilla/ .mozilla-simplex
$ mv .mozilla-simplex .mozilla
But I think I got it: It was the add-on "Better Privacy" that somehow messed the cookies. After disabling it, I am logged in each time I visit... So I shall mark this thread as solved.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I use the file manager > right click > select rename route and have never had a problem...

All 4 commands do basically the same thing - rename a folder... yet 2 commands contain a forward slash (/) and 2 don't - why the difference?

Image Image Image
simplex

Post by simplex »

It was copy&paste from a post. But after nearly 30 years of Unix, there should be no difference between

move abc/ somewhere
and
move abc somewhere

given that abc is a folder.

Return to “Beginner Questions”