Windows libraries in Linux (for organizing files)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SSorcerer

Windows libraries in Linux (for organizing files)

Post by SSorcerer »

Using Mint 17.2 Cinnamon.

Since changing from windows to Linux one thing that I'm missing are the libraries (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -libraries).

I want to organize folders based on subjects that I'm studying, they'll have videos, documents, etc. So libraries were perfect for that since I didn’t need to move the files from their original place (or replicate them) to easily access them from the library folder.

Any way to do that in Mint ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows libraries in Linux (for organizing files)

Post by phd21 »

Hi SSorcerer,

This seems a little redundant to me, because you can just organize your folders and files by name (subject matter) into sub-folders and files using any file manager in Linux, MS Windows, or Mac, like creating a folder for pictures called "Pictures" or "My_Pictures", or for music files in a folder called "Music" or "My Music", etc...

However, there is a superb program called "Cherry Tree" for organizing your notes, that you can also use to organize your computer's files based upon your "notes", your thoughts, subject matter, and for just general note taking, that you can use to do what I think these libraries do, and maybe more, even though I have never used those MS Windows Libraries before. But, you will have to check that out for yourself.

Cherry Tree can easily store notes, links to folders, files, documents, pictures, videos, web pages and websites, whatever ... It can also act as a diary with the easy "add today's node (F8)" option, for a chronology (time line) of your events that you enter. One of many reasons I like it, is because I can make detailed notes regarding any particular folder or file(s) on my computer, or wherever, and then underneath that I can have a link, or links, that I can click to automatically open my file manager to those specific folders and files on my computer without duplicating them (basically shortcuts), or to open web links in my browser. You can also easily import, or copy & paste pictures, or link to them, etc... It is worth taking some time to read their manual, and the web links below, although you can get started quickly and easily just by trying it.

Tip: Start by clicking the upper left most "Cherry +" icon to add a Note category (Parent Note Node, or CTRL-N), and enter something like "School" or "Education-Learning", and click "ok", then click the "Cherry angle +" icon just to the right of that (or right click add sub node, or (SHFT-CTRL-N), to create a "Child" note category underneath "School" ("sub-note node" category), like "Courses", then click the parent node "School" again, and add some more "sub-note 'child' nodes" like: "School_Documents", Videos, Audio Clips, then create more sub-categories, perhaps for each course you are taking, or are interested in, like "Math", "Political Science", "English_Literature", "Science" with tertiary sub-note nodes like (Archaeology, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, etc...), Languages with sub note categories (French, Spanish, etc..). Once you have your "School notes" structure setup to some degree, which you can always add to and or change them, then, you can add some text, pictures, links to folders and or files on your computer, and elsewhere (ex: websites). To quickly add a link, click the link button on the toolbar (or CTRL-L), If you have a link paste it, if not, put anything you want for a "link name" in the white link location box, like "folders and files for School" or "school song", then you will come up to the "Add/Edit Link" screen where you can enter, or paste, a web link, or browse to a file or folder (use button on right) to create a link location to your folder or file that pertains to this note, or create a link to another note node. FYI: you can just paste a web link directly into the notes screen without having to use the link button.

Sample Cherry Tree screen:
CherryTree_SampleScreen3.jpg
Cherry Tree "Add/Edit" link screen
CherryTree_Add-Link1.jpg
I find this to be an invaluable tool that I use everyday; I even have it start with my start up applications when I start my computer.

Cherry Tree can be installed by downloading the easy install ".deb" file from the 2nd link below (you just double click the ".deb" file you downloaded), or by installing the PPA using the instructions below.

CherryTree: A Powerful Notepad For Easy Note Taking
https://www.maketecheasier.com/organize ... herrytree/

Cherry Tree
http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:giuspen/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cherrytree

"Keeping track of my bits and pieces of information across several computers running Linux and Microsoft Windows has long been a problem. CherryTree is a sweet solution that keeps my information local and cloud-free."
CherryTree Takes the Pits Out of Pruning Your Notes
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/78863.html

Which organization tool is best for you? CherryTree: A Wiki-Style Notebook That’s Polished and Functional.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cherrytree ... unctional/

FYI-1: There are also numerous applications (software programs) available for organizing "collections" of various things as well, like books, music, etc... Like Tellico, GCstar, etc...

FYI-2: Another extremely useful tool is a software application called "Autokey". Which can make entering in repetitive phrases and data simple to do. Ex: if you type in "adr" anywhere, AutoKey can automatically enter in your complete address for you.
"AutoKey is a desktop automation utility for Linux and X11. It allows you to manage collection of scripts and phrases, and assign abbreviations and hotkeys to these. This allows you to execute a script or insert text on demand in whatever program you are using. "
https://code.google.com/p/autokey/

Beginners Guide to AutoKey
https://code.google.com/p/autokey/wiki/BeginnersGuide

AutoKey : Linux Utility for Text Substitution , Hotkeys and Desktop Automation
https://saravananthirumuruganathan.word ... utomation/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi SSorcerer, Students, Professionals, Everyone else,

I thought it might be a good idea to show you how easy it is to use the superb "CherryTree" note program with a short video demo tutorial in the link below. Per my previous post on this, I will use the "school" and "student" scenario as the focus of this demo. Obviously, you can use this program for any purpose you want, and to create your notes and note categories along with links to folders and files to fit your needs.

Preparation: In my Linux Mint system, I created a folder called "1-School" in my "/home" folder with various sub-folders related to schooling and learning, so that I can show you how to easily create Note categories (parent nodes), note sub-categories (child nodes), then to add some "links" to these specific "school" folders and or files in the computer and related websites. I went to Penn State University awhile ago, so please keep in mind, I don't have many files in this, because I just created all of this for this demo for "SSorcerer" and anyone else interested in this topic.
School_FolderSetup.jpg
Video Demo on using CherryTree. To view it, click link below, or right click and "open in new tab".
It may take a minute or longer for the video to start.

Link 1:
http://i.imgur.com/NSrnEBy.gifv

Link 2: Faster Link through Youtube
https://youtu.be/8VDtZqfi1YU
CherryTree_Demo_09-19-2015.jpg
Note: Since the folders "Documents", "Audio_Clips", "Pictures", "Videos" are pretty generic even under the main "School" note topic, and If you take a lot of notes, or save a lot of documents, web pages, files, etc..., like I do, then you may also need to create (or duplicate) these folders underneath each note category that you use a lot as well.

For example: You might have a Note category (node) for "Biology" and underneath it, you may need these generic folders duplicated in there as well to keep yourself even better organized; and for faster access to those specific items related to this "Biology" note category. You can also create a "folder link" to the "Biology" folder, etc...

-->Biology
------------> Documents
------------> Pictures
------------> Audio_Clips
------------> Videos

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

phd21 wrote:Hi SSorcerer, Students, Professionals, Everyone else,

I thought it might be a good idea to show you how easy it is to use the superb "CherryTree" note program with a short video demo tutorial
I have a few CherryTree documents that contain several nodes, and each "Node Tree" is composed of identical sub-nodes. The structure of the "tree" for each node. Such as if all of the nodes for your class subjects had the hierarchy as your "Biology" tree.

-->Biology
------------> Documents
------------> Pictures
------------> Audio_Clips
------------> Videos

I find creating a set of identical trees individually to be needless repetition. Unfortunately, if CherryTree has a way to duplicate or Copy/Paste nodes I haven't found it.

That's where Nodes Import and Nodes Export become your friends. Create the node with the sub-node hierarchy, and then use Nodes Export to export it as a CherryTree document. This can then be used as a template, and you insert it using Nodes Import. From there you just rename any nodes that need to be renamed using Change Node Properties [F2].
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the instructions re installation of Cherry Tree phd21.

I used the terminal PPA method to install, copying and pasting the commands into terminal.
However, I am now unable to find the file.

What did I do wrong I am wondering? Can you suggest what is wrong please?
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Wompoo wrote:However, I am now unable to find the file.
You can confirm Cherrytree installed with

Code: Select all

which cherrytree
... or trying to start it in a terminal.

If you are looking for the location of the Cherrytree launcher in the Application Launcher, you should find it under Utilities.

I like, use and recommend Cherrytree. I highly recommend downloading the .ctb version of the user manual from the Cherrytree website. Cherrytree will open the file.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

This has probably already been mentioned, but most graphical file managers seem to let you create bookmarks, which basically work like libraries in Windows, if we're thinking of the same thing. I also found those library things redundant, but I got used to them eventually. :roll:

I don't have a file manager, but I can show you Cinnamon's from a virtual machine:
libraries.jpg
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

My apologies for this late response BenT.
I did finally find Cherry Tree and now have it installed.
Just got to read phd21's instructions now to learn how to use it.

Thanks....
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM

Return to “Beginner Questions”