Level 3 Updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubletwo
Level 3
Level 3

Level 3 Updates

Post by doubletwo »

Im new to Linux, and have some updates waiting to be installed. Do i install the level 3 updates or not?

I have read conflicting reports..... some say they are ok to install, and others saying only install them if they are important.....well how do i know, as a newbie, if they are important or not

Help needed please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KabirGandhiok

Re: Level 3 Updates

Post by KabirGandhiok »

You are more than likely never going face a problem installing level 3 updates, which is why they come checked by default. You can read through the "updating software" section available in the "user guide" for greater insight.
I install all level 3 updates, haven't faced any problem. I think you count on Linux Mint when it comes to stability. Also some people suggest that level 4 and 5 are pretty safe to install as well, because Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu doesn't make this distinction in it's updates, but that being said, I too am a newbie so I don't want to risk it by installing level 4 and 5 updates.
You can have a look at -
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

Post by 1.618 »

Updates will either be security (an exlamation mark icon) or package updates, level 1-3 are deemed to be stable enough so as not to upset your system, levels 4 and 5 are less well tested or have the potential to cause problems and glitches so install them at your own risk... some people have no problems with 4-5 but others do

Level 1-3 should be enough for the average user, always install the security ones as these will fix holes and patch potential exploits, and it's up to you if you want to update the packages, usually a good idea.

I always do 1-3 with no problems, but 4-5 have borked my system in the past
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you open the settings of the update manager -> level, you can read the short and easy to understand explanations for the levels. The level system does pretty well that, what is explained there.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

I have installed all level 4 and 5 updates and I have never had any trouble with any of them. most trouble that I have known any Linux user to have is where they start changing the kernel to a later kernel and that can sometimes create issues.

the poorguy

Return to “Beginner Questions”