Mint 17.2 Chromium displays message my computer is infected

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Matt832
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 17.2 Chromium displays message my computer is infected

Post by Matt832 »

Been using Mint for a number of years, no issues. Today I tried to open a link in Firefox, my default browser, and it would not open, it was a video and message was the server could not be reached. suspecting it was some ad blocking software or something in FF I copied the link and opened it with Chromium. All was well, video played. I walked away, went to work and when i got home there was a number of loud voices overlapping stating my computer was infected and to call an 866 number and press 1. The message indicated I was an ATT customer, so it knew that. Of course I did not call. Had to reboot the computer to clear the message. AFter that all is fine. I have a number of computers in my system, none had the same issue so I doubt it's an infected router.

Question is how did this crap get into my browser? I rarely if ever use Chromium, might have added a few extensions to it, but never had this issue in the past. I know Linux is pretty safe and I do not go to questionable sites, the one that I opened in chrome was from Martha Stewart, so I'm puzzled. Thoughts?
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mint 17.2 Chromium displays message my computer is infec

Post by Pjotr »

An infected website might spawn such rubble: even respectable websites get hacked..... Of course it can't do any harm in your Linux anyway, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Matt832
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt832 »

I agree, no issue.

looked at history problem site came up as amatterofprotection.xyz googled it and nothing came up. Wiped the 2 extensions I had in Chrome and reset it, should eliminate the issue going forward.
Jerry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry »

Interesting case. Coincidentally, I had the same thing that Matt mentioned. Though I am not an AT and T customer. I had this occur with Chromium. For me, it was a simple matter of clearing things with bleachbit and all was good.
May you have good thermals.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Matt832 wrote:Question is how did this crap get into my browser?
Possibly via javascript or flash. What you reported could possibly be not malware itself, but a script, that behaves as scareware: Stoke fear and trying to persuade the user to do anything, which really installs (probably in the browser profile) crap.

BTW: Finding out that you are a AT&T customer is not difficult via your IP-address. Showing this info is another method to make the user believe, that the attacker knows more than he probably really does and floating him into errors.

Your reaction was perfectly right.
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shryp »

My guess is it was nothing more than a popup / ad.
Matt832
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt832 »

It managed to open 6 tabs, each of them had audio. Talk about annoying. If I was an average user I might have actually believed this junk.

Return to “Newbie Questions”