Radeon HD 6450 hardware acceleration

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tasmedic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tasmedic »

Hi there

I'm running mint 17.2 on an AMD64 platform, with cinnamon.

I gather that I won't get hardware acceleration with my Radeon unless I install the Radeon drivers from the ATI web site. I did download and auto install the most current drivers from there, but x11 crashes when I reboot my computer.

Is there some special recipe to install the drivers? Should I use drivers from canonical? Did I do the wrong thing auto-installing rather than saving them first and using terminal window?

For the time being I have reinstalled mint 17.2 and am using the default software acceleration. Seems a waste to leave out my GPU's capabilities.

Please advise how to get hardware acceleration working. I did search this forum but couldn't find my specific issue addressed.

Thanks from the newbie.... Chris.
Last edited by tasmedic on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Radeon HD 6450 hardware acceleration

Post by Laurent85 »

Launch Driver Manager utility, does it offer a list of available drivers for your graphics card ?
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shryp »

Laurent85 wrote:Launch Driver Manager utility, does it offer a list of available drivers for your graphics card ?
Menu -> Administration -> Driver Manager

That should install the driver for you. No need to go to the ATI website and download it yourself.
tasmedic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tasmedic »

Thanks, guys and/or gals!

I've installed the recommended driver from driver manager, and all seems to be ok.

So simple, I'm glad I posted in the newbie forum!

I've certainly seen a big improvement in the video quality.

Is there a way to formally test and confirm the hardware acceleration? glxgears is giving me 1150 fps, but this isn't any more than it was doing before I installed the drivers! Flash video on youtube is still showing software rendering and software decoding.

Thanks for helping me out guys!

Newbie chris.
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shryp »

Did you reboot after you enabled the new drivers?
tasmedic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tasmedic »

Shryp wrote:Did you reboot after you enabled the new drivers?
Yes, I did. Is there a specific test I can run to determine the status of hardware acceleration and rendering?

Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”