"Task Manager" like linux alternative.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SurajR
Level 1
Level 1

"Task Manager" like linux alternative.

Post by SurajR »

I need a linux taskmanager alternative. Which shows processes, allows you to end them, and show proportion of cpu/memory being used.

Thanks in advance.
evenadam
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Task Manager" like linux alternative.

Post by evenadam »

It's called "System Monitor", which should be accessible from the Mint menu. It can be launched from a terminal by

Code: Select all

gnome-system-monitor
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, SurajR.

Depending on the desktop environment which you use the following task managers come pre-installed with your Linux Mint and can be found in the Linux Mint Menu:
+ Mate: mate-system-monitor
+ Cinnamon: gnome-system-monitor
+ KDE: KSysGuard
+ xfce: xfce4-task-manager

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
cinnam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cinnam »

In the terminal window, you can also use the command

To learn more about "top", use the man command in the terminal window with:

man top
Here is an excerpt:
The top program provides a dynamic real-time view of a running system. It can display system sum‐
mary information as well as a list of processes or threads currently being managed by the Linux
kernel. The types of system summary information shown and the types, order and size of information
displayed for processes are all user configurable and that configuration can be made persistent
across restarts.

The program provides a limited interactive interface for process manipulation as well as a much
more extensive interface for personal configuration -- encompassing every aspect of its opera‐
tion. And while top is referred to throughout this document, you are free to name the program any‐
thing you wish. That new name, possibly an alias, will then be reflected on top's display and used
when reading and writing a configuration file.
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shryp »

In addition to System Monitor and top listed above. Look at Conky. It can display most of that info right on your desktop and has its own section in the forum.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=212
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

gKrellm also
ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ofb »

SurajR wrote:Which shows processes, allows you to end them, and show proportion of cpu/memory being used.
lxtask brings these all together on the top panel. Here it is running natively in LXDE on Lubuntu 14.04.03. In Mint, you can find it in Package Manager.
2015-09-22-165944_1280x800_scrot.png
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I like lxtask as well. I didn't install it specifically but I installed LXDE on my Mint 17 Mate netbook (have barely used Mate since actually).

One thing I like is that it has an intuitive setting for showing cached memory as free. That's kind of an issue for linux novices who are used to Windoze. Linux/unix has much more sophisticated memory management. It doesn't leave unused RAM unused but uses it to cache programs. This is way faster than reading them from disk every time.

The downside is that it's actually not all that simple asking how much RAM you're using. A common beginner thread on linux forums goes something like "Linux ate all my memory" when it didn't.

Return to “Newbie Questions”