[SOLVED] Replacing Windows 8.1 with Mint Cinnamon 17.2

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Replacing Windows 8.1 with Mint Cinnamon 17.2

Post by xdicey »

After much reading and vacillation I've decided to go for broke and totally, irreversibly replace Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2. Figured if I don't have the 'crutch' of Windows on this machine, I will be that much more inclined to dig into and learn Linux. I've backed up my files externally, burned the iso image on a DVD already, imaged Windows (chicken that I am, just in case).

Question then: What are the steps, ALL, the steps to do this. There are tons of info about dual booting, Virtual Box -one I was going to go with but then thought, what the heck, just go all the way already. So can anyone point me, a total newbie, how to replace Windows with Linux?

Naturally it's an OEM computer. Here are the specs. Need to know anything else, let me know.

ALL-IN-ONE TOUCH SCREEN, 10 PT TOUCH
Intel Core i7 4700MQ, 2.40GHz
Win 8.1
64 bit, ACPI X64 based processor
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8690A; Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
12gb RAM
1TB hybrid SATA SSHD
and just in case these are necessary to know, including in the very long list of system devices, there are:
Microsoft UEFI compliant system and Microsoft ACPI Complaint System

So step by step instructions, anyone?

thx
Last edited by xdicey on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Replacing Windows 8.1 with Mint Cinnamon 17.2

Post by jungle_boy »

Follow this instructions,
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

During the installation process, choose "Erase disk and install linux mint".
Del Inspiron 5480, Quad-core, Core I5 8th Gen, Geforce MX 150,
LM 19.2 Cinnamon

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Thanks very much for the swift response. Appreciate it :) .
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Off topic I know...
Microsoft ACPI Complaint System
...a typo that is a serious contender for Ginger Penguin 2015...short-listed with...Mint Love-Session...Duel Booting.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

A Complaining Microsoft ACPI System. A pretty good reason to eagerly replace it with Linux :D
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

another side thought - can you swap out the HDD & replace it with another ?
- and install LinuxMint onto that one, whilst keeping the original HDD ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

Absolutely. Depending on how easy/difficult this is on your machine I believe this is an excellent option to keep a perfectly working backup whilst committing to Linux. If you to upgrade to SSD it brings an additional speed bonus.

Doozerjazz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Doozerjazz »

I dont know what route you did take in the end or how far you have got?
I tried Win 10 install twice on my ten year old Desktop PC, then gave up (temporarily). So I went the Dual boot route as one favourite on Windows looks a bit of a faff on Linux.
I followed an article from "About Tech" ,about.com. Guy called Gary Newell "Linux Expert"." How to Dual Boot Win 8.1 and Linux Mint", works great so far. Just got to find my way around linux mint! He also did an article on"Create a recovery drive for all versions of windows" which I was able to follow! So if you screw it up this might help?
Good Luck

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Very interesting, Pierre. Never thought of that possibility.

But prestonR, doesn't SSDs have a shorter life span or it doesn't matter 'cause either way that's not a bad idea at all?
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Doozerjazz wrote:I dont know what route you did take in the end or how far you have got?
I tried Win 10 install twice on my ten year old Desktop PC, then gave up (temporarily). So I went the Dual boot route as one favourite on Windows looks a bit of a faff on Linux.
I followed an article from "About Tech" ,about.com. Guy called Gary Newell "Linux Expert"." How to Dual Boot Win 8.1 and Linux Mint", works great so far. Just got to find my way around linux mint! He also did an article on"Create a recovery drive for all versions of windows" which I was able to follow! So if you screw it up this might help?
Good Luck
Still haven't taken any 'route' yet.
I am a complete Newbie and all the places I've looked including Gary's info site, all the lovely and patient advice I've gotten, the steps seem fairly easy until I see the ones that says: turn off secure boot, change boot mode, create partitions, I get cold and trembling fingers that I'll not get it right. I've the iso image burned but got no further, sad, uh?

Since I can't just stick the dvd in and follow some wizard's instructions, I'll wait a bit.

Anyhow, glad the dual boot worked for you!
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

it's more than possible for a N00B to erase windows completely:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=205980
was quite a saga, when it's not what was intended. ..

& if that is what you really want to do.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

I think the new SSD are supposed to last longer than a conventional drive. Might be still too early to know for sure if that claim is correct, though. Anyway, I mainly suggested that way because:

- you keep a working backup disk of the old operating system without cloning disks or partitions
- all you need to do in BIOS is disable 'secure boot', your boot order is fine
- you can pick the first option of the Mint installer (use the whole disk for Mint), no partitioning necessary
- SSD will make the newly installed system feel very responsive

If that's a solution for you depends mainly on 3 things:

- can you access/swap your drive easily
- can you live with the costs for an SSD
- can you live without windows-only software (you can test this with your LiveDVD)

Add some peace of mind by having a second machine connected to the net while doing those things, just in case you need some help.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Why use a dead DVD, when you can fully work and save settings and installations between reboots with a Persistent Live USB on an 8gb thumb drive? That will let you run as many versions of Mint, Ubuntu, or other supported Linux that supports Persistence. It will not affect your hard drive at all, and runs only marginally slower than a full hard drive install, i.e. much better than from a slow turning DVD. You make the thumb drive within Windows using this or other similar software:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

I make Persistence around 4gb and leave the rest for the OS. I avoid major system updates and only install or update one or two bits of software at a time to keep from jamming the USB drive. Otherwise it should run very well, lets you check out very different desktop environments, and lets you know if you have any problems with any of your computer's components and with the peripheral devices you normally connect to. Also allows you to install and configure Linux software alternatives to the Windows software you're used to, to decide if it serves your purposes and you like it.

You can mount and access all the documents and media files on your Windows drive by mounting it in your Mint file manager, play music or video, etc using the Linux software. It's a risk free way to fully test-drive Linux on the machine before deciding whether to either dual-boot or fully replace Windows. Good luck.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M19.1 XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Lenovo desktop). All 32 bit Windows systems are running 64 bit Mint.

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

I love this forum and is very grateful that there are so many knowledgeable people who are so willing to share their time and experiences with us newbies.

I checked out the 1956' thread and hope in the end he did find a solution.

A brief bio:
I love using computers but the nuts and bolts of it are always way, way, above my understanding so I settle for just using them. I have 4 of 'em.
#1. 10+ year old Win XP, Pentium with 2 GB Ram (has been unplugged since supports stopped but I hope to resurrect it with Linux -someday)
#2. 8 yr old Dell laptop, from Vista to Win 7. 32bit, 2GB of RAM. currently upgrading to 4GB and new hdd. This will remain my 'go to' Windows (which I may not even use often).
#3. 1yr old HP AIO 64 bit, 8.1. stays as is for now, the kid uses it.
#4. and most importantly is the 1yr old Dell Insp2350 AIO, 8.1 which is the computer I use daily and for everything is going to be my all out full time Linux Mint baby. So now that I've read so much from this forum and other places, my intent is to wipe Windows from #4 and go all the way with Linux.

Office 13 which Libre Office will replace, GIMP, Calibre, Inkscape. I may miss Adobe Acrobat as I do use that a lot, Windows Taptiles -I like playing that but otherwise I dare say I will survive and perhaps be the better for it.

The question would be, is it advisable to fully install, uninstall and re-install various distros on the one machine in my exploring of Linux?
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

That's a fast machine with an I7 and plenty of ram. I'd start with installing Mint 64bit on it in order to have a solid and functional platform, then add Virtualbox and try other distros as virtual machines.

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Sounds good :) . Thx.
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

duneelliot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by duneelliot »

xdicey wrote: Still haven't taken any 'route' yet.
I am a complete Newbie and all the places I've looked including Gary's info site, all the lovely and patient advice I've gotten, the steps seem fairly easy until I see the ones that says: turn off secure boot, change boot mode, create partitions, I get cold and trembling fingers that I'll not get it right. I've the iso image burned but got no further, sad, uh?

Since I can't just stick the dvd in and follow some wizard's instructions, I'll wait a bit.

Changing Secure Boot, Boot Mode and Creating Partitions are generally fairly simple. Changing the first two won't screw anything up. Changing partitions is a little tougher, but if you just want to install Linux OVER Windows, you don't even need to worry about it; the Linux Mint install will do it all for you. Just be sure that is what you want...it was tougher than it should have been getting 1956 back to Windows.

To change Secure Boot and Boot order you have to get into the UEFI/BIOS Menu. Do you know how to get there in Win8.1?

Turn Off/Disable Secure Boot in the first screen
Go to the "Boot" Menu and rearrange the order to something that looks like this:

USB FDD
USB HDD
CD/DVD ROM Drive
HDD (Hard-drive)
Network

I was one of the "helpers" over on the 1956 thread. I think we got him squared away...haven't heard from him since he got Win10 installing on his machine. Just be SURE you want to get rid of Win8 before committing completely.

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot »

xdicey wrote:Very interesting, Pierre. Never thought of that possibility.
But prestonR, doesn't SSDs have a shorter life span or it doesn't matter 'cause either way that's not a bad idea at all?
actually the chances of physical failure"due to shock" should be extremely less compared to a platter hdd disk drive, you have to hold HDD like an egg, if you drop it, your screwed.
you do have to setup your ssd in mint, to prevent it from writing like an hdd, an example swappiness=60 on standard hdd, i use swappiness=1 to limit swap wear. i have 16gb memory also btw.
today ssd life should be way better, compared when they were first out.
xdicey wrote: #1. 10+ year old Win XP, Pentium with 2 GB Ram (has been unplugged since supports stopped but I hope to resurrect it with Linux -someday)
#2. 8 yr old Dell laptop, from Vista to Win 7. 32bit, 2GB of RAM. currently upgrading to 4GB and new hdd. This will remain my 'go to' Windows (which I may not even use often).
Give lubuntu lxde a try, http://lubuntu.net/ its lightweight should run old hardware. just stay away from memory hog apps, i still use opera 12.16 "sadly" and one time it was eating 9GB ram :lol:
xdicey wrote: The question would be, is it advisable to fully install, uninstall and re-install various distros on the one machine in my exploring of Linux?
You can try any operating system in virtual box, or just leave empty partition space for an extra distro. if you dont want to restart the machine everytime to switch distros, use virtualbox.

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

duneelliot wrote:
xdicey wrote: Still haven't taken any 'route' yet.

Changing Secure Boot, Boot Mode and Creating Partitions are generally fairly simple. Changing the first two won't screw anything up. Changing partitions is a little tougher, but if you just want to install Linux OVER Windows, you don't even need to worry about it; the Linux Mint install will do it all for you. Just be sure that is what you want...it was tougher than it should have been getting 1956 back to Windows.

To change Secure Boot and Boot order you have to get into the UEFI/BIOS Menu. Do you know how to get there in Win8.1?

Turn Off/Disable Secure Boot in the first screen
Go to the "Boot" Menu and rearrange the order to something that looks like this:

USB FDD
USB HDD
CD/DVD ROM Drive
HDD (Hard-drive)
Network

I was one of the "helpers" over on the 1956 thread. I think we got him squared away...haven't heard from him since he got Win10 installing on his machine. Just be SURE you want to get rid of Win8 before committing completely.
Am I sure I want to get rid of Window 8.1? I've got 2 of them buggers going -I can live without one.
Yeah, I can get into UEFI menu from Windows.
Can you explain a bit about the boot order you suggested? Does that mean I should have the iso on a USB? I have the iso on a DVD right now -even did the MD5 check. Thing is though, the optical drive is external as the Inps2350 doesn't come with it built in. Will that cause any problems when installing?
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot »

xdicey wrote:
duneelliot wrote:
xdicey wrote: Turn Off/Disable Secure Boot in the first screen

USB FDD
USB HDD
CD/DVD ROM Drive
HDD (Hard-drive)
Network
Does that mean I should have the iso on a USB? I have the iso on a DVD right now -even did the MD5 check. Thing is though, the optical drive is external as the Inps2350 doesn't come with it built in. Will that cause any problems when installing?
No you can boot mint on either usb/dvd. the boot order xdicey suggested means usb fdd will boot first, second usb hdd, third dvd drive. if the first boot device has no boot loader it will move to the second, then third, since you have a dvd that will boot"linux mint", it will fire before windows on your hdd. you do need to turn off secure boot thou.

you can have any boot order, i recommend hhd to be after these DVD drive, fdd or usb, must be last in list

Return to “Newbie Questions”