Different mail client

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Amy Flannigan
Level 1
Level 1

Different mail client

Post by Amy Flannigan »

Hey!
I want to use a mail client, but I don't really want thunderbird. Something lightweight and simple seems better to me. But the issue I have is that thunderbird is the only that connects to my gmail account. I have Sylpheed installed and I set it up as I should have. It either won't connect or others, like Geary mail, got blocked by google. Even when i said to allow them they still blocked it. It's really annoying. Does anyone know how to get around this?
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Different mail client

Post by Cosmo. »

Did you try Claws Mail? It is a fork of Sylpheed. Maybe one of the available plugins does help.
Amy Flannigan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Amy Flannigan »

Cosmo. wrote:Did you try Claws Mail? It is a fork of Sylpheed. Maybe one of the available plugins does help.
Yes, but o, it doesn't help. It won't even connect to the gmail account and download my emails or anything like that.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Amy Flannigan wrote: Something lightweight and simple seems better to me.
Mutt?
http://www.tecmint.com/send-mail-from-c ... t-command/
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p1052958
Amy Flannigan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Amy Flannigan »

I don't need an email client, I found one, but it won't connect to my email. I put in my mail, password and everything and it won't connect so i could get emails and send them. When i logged in through thunderbird it downloaded all my emails and I could work with it immediately. But all other mail clients either are blocked my google and even when i say that log in was me they still block them, and other clients won!t even connect to my account. That's what I'm asking about. How to make them connect and go around the google blocking everything?
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

But the issue I have is that thunderbird is the only that connects to my gmail account. I have Sylpheed installed and I set it up as I should have
Apart from not giving any INFO on your setup parameters, there may be some general problems with Gmail + your preference of email client
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... or-307886/

When i find a client that doesn't work, I don't have much of a problem switching to another client option: not being wedded to a particular email client style
  • All I need are the messages
    --not the stylistic options applied by various email servers/services..
Amy Flannigan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Amy Flannigan »

DrHu wrote:
But the issue I have is that thunderbird is the only that connects to my gmail account. I have Sylpheed installed and I set it up as I should have
Apart from not giving any INFO on your setup parameters, there may be some general problems with Gmail + your preference of email client
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... or-307886/

When i find a client that doesn't work, I don't have much of a problem switching to another client option: not being wedded to a particular email client style
  • All I need are the messages
    --not the stylistic options applied by various email servers/services..
If you want to log into something you usually have to give user name and password. That's the thing I did to get into my account. With thunderbird there is no problem, but any other won't connect and get my mail. Or get blocked by google.
Had a look at it, but it's a little old and they didn't really get anything. It's version 3.9 now
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't use Gmail, but I know, that using it with an e-mail client is somehow cumbersome. TB did make an enhancement for this problem only 3 versions back, to my knowledge (reading other's notes) this seems to work. If other clients don't offer this, your choice is obviously limited. And as I do not use either Gmail nor another client I cannot give you an advise (which may or may not exist).

Perhaps we should talk about, what you do not like about TB? Perhaps there is a solution.
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shryp »

"Lightweight and simple" Is just using a web browser acceptable? That is what I do these days.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Amy Flannigan wrote:I don't need an email client, I found one, but it won't connect to my email. I put in my mail, password and everything and it won't connect so i could get emails and send them. When i logged in through thunderbird it downloaded all my emails and I could work with it immediately. But all other mail clients either are blocked my google and even when i say that log in was me they still block them, and other clients won!t even connect to my account. That's what I'm asking about. How to make them connect and go around the google blocking everything?
You need to edit Gmail´s settings.
Thunderbird troubleshooting with Gmail

https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Return to “Newbie Questions”