How to change my IP?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

How to change my IP?

Post by blackoutworm »

Hi I'm using Mint 17.
I know I can change the last few digits of my IP address (the one from whatismyip.com).
Under Windows, from what I can remember, I was able to change it under IPV6.
Any idea how to do this, what to do and if it's even possible under Linux Mint?
reddot

Re: How to change my IP?

Post by reddot »

the only way to change your public IP address is through a vpn service. if your ISP is compatible with IPv6, and your modem, router, and network card all do. Then you must change your mac address for IPv6 or disable it. in order to use your vpn effectively.

heres a discussion on vpn and IPv6
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=204493
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blackoutworm »

Thanks for you replay.
But I don't wanna use a VPN.
My internet connection gets slow whenever I use an VPN. I've tried a few free and paid ones.
I know it should be possible to change the whatismyip.com ip address, because all of my devices has a different one (the 3 last digits).
reddot

Post by reddot »

i just checked my fileserver vs laptop and android phone. they are connected to the same router, i only have one modem. they all have the same public ip in whatismyip

can you explain your network setup? your IP is issued by your ISP, you cant change it unless you get a new physical mac address from a new modem. or vpn. also what continent are you in? i currently use one machine always connected to a vpn and it works great, and fast too.

btw public/free vpn suck since most likely they collect logs, there is no point in that is there?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

reddot wrote:can you explain your network setup? your IP is issued by your ISP, you cant change it unless you get a new physical mac address from a new modem. or vpn.
Or purchase a static IP from your ISP?
It is rare that an ISP will re-assign you a dynamic IP just because you want a 'new' one.
reddot

Post by reddot »

i recently changed cable modems, it was more than 5 years old. i did get a new IP but i do not know the circumstances of why i was given a new one.
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blackoutworm »

See. All my devices (PS4, ipad and pc) has the same IP, but the last digits are different.
On my pc, the ip is xx.xxx.xx.179. On my ipad, it's xx.xxx.xx.43. See what I mean?
That's what I need to change. The last digits. Not the actual IP.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Is this on your home network or your public IP?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
reddot

Post by reddot »

I know this is dumb, but are you testing every device individually in whatismyip.com ???. are all your devices connected to the same wifi/router/hotspot/lan

if your ipad has 3g/4g connection builtin it will be different

Edit: im suspecting that also Fred Barclay, if you want to change IP in your home network"per device" you can assign it through your router, or through the device but its easier to manage in your router depending on what router you use.

i have Asus RT-AC68U with DD-WRT, i have all my devices with staic ip, by their mac address.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

blackoutworm wrote:Hi I'm using Mint 17.
I know I can change the last few digits of my IP address (the one from whatismyip.com).
Under Windows, from what I can remember, I was able to change it under IPV6.
Any idea how to do this, what to do and if it's even possible under Linux Mint?
Your public IP address is assigned by your ISP. My ISP assigns an IP address to my cable modem based on its MAC address. My cable modem will have the same IP address regardless of the location of the connection (geographically). Some ISPs assign IP addresses this way - I call it a Pseudo-static IP address... Other ISPs assign IP addresses dynamically and randomly... I don't believe that you can change your (public) address at the level of the OS - but I believe you can set up a system wide proxy (see below).

BUT... I believe you can mask or hide your true IP address from a distant server (like whatismyip.com) by using a proxy. Tor is a specific version of this kind of thing... Basically, the proxy stands between you and the distant server... you make requests to the proxy and the proxy makes requests to the distant server (using its IP address) on your behalf. When the distant server replies to the proxy, it forwards the reply on to you. The distant server sees the IP address of the proxy but not yours... or at least that is my understanding of it...

Note: I don't use proxies but I believe that if you are interested in using a proxy, you configure your browser to do so... For FF, open Preferences > Advanced > Network (tab at top) > Connection > Settings... This is where you can configure your proxy.
p1.png
p2.png
For more detailed information, Google is your friend... :mrgreen:

Wikipedia article > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server
The basics of using a proxy server for privacy and security > http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-sec ... -security/
Short list of free proxy servers > http://www.techgyd.com/free-proxy-sites ... 014/12890/#
Last edited by Reorx on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
chrissuninchina

Post by chrissuninchina »

We really need to have more information about your network setup before we can help you figure this out. For example, is your ONE computer connected directly to the internet through your cable/DSL modem? And is NAT enabled on it?

EDIT: I missed in your post where you said you had multiple devices configured to use the internet at the same time. Sorry! If that's the case, I'm assuming you have NAT enabled? What are the first 2 octets of your IP address on each machine? Something like 10.10.x.x or 192.168.x.x? Those are private addresses and are easily changeable, but that won't affect the way the outside world sees your computer because they're all gonna have to go through the same router to get to the internet.

There's no way to change your public IP address unless you've paid your ISP for a range of specific IP addresses and have a few to choose from. Or, rather, you could possibly change it if depending on your network setup, but that would probably lead to duplicate address conflicts, which would cause issues with your computer sending and receiving packets.
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blackoutworm »

"I know this is dumb, but are you testing every device individually in whatismyip.com ???. are all your devices connected to the same wifi/router/hotspot/lan"
Yes and yes. Testing on PC give me the ip xxx.xx.xxx.206 and ipad gives me xxx.xx.xxx.43 and PS4 ends with 16.

@chrissuninchina
I am using a normal internet. My ipad goes wireless to the modem. PS4 and PC are both wired.
chrissuninchina

If your devices are all connecting to the same gateway device (modem/router or firewall), and the subnet you're using is a private subnet (172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x), then changing the IP address on any device on your local network will do absolutely nothing for you as far as the Internet is concerned.

For the Internet to see you differently, you would have to change the IP address of the external-facing device (router/modem) in order to see any changes, and, again, that's not something you can just do on the Internet because you feel like it. That would be like someone saying, "I don't like my home address being 721 Main Street. I wanna make it 723 Main Street." That would cause obvious problems with getting mail. The same applies to the internet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing your IP address?
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blackoutworm »

"then changing the IP address on any device on your local network will do absolutely nothing for you"
I know. But I was able to do that and I was just curious as to how/if I can do this.
reddot

Post by reddot »

i always have a static private subnets, since i use a network printer, and a fileserver with ssh and remmina. so in some cases you do need a fixed ip address per device, but like others said, you cant change your public ip on your own without a service, i use a paid vpn, but never a proxy or have attempted to set one up. or you pay your ISP, but then again arent IPv4 addresses scarce?

and yes you can change your private ip address, just right click on your connection manager, eg where you look for wifi or if you have a connection. select connection information.
copy the default route, eg http://192.168.1.1/ to your browser address bar and press enter you should be able to see the control panel for your router. but i could be wrong, all routers are different, mine is flashed with dd wrt
chrissuninchina

blackoutworm wrote:"then changing the IP address on any device on your local network will do absolutely nothing for you"
I know. But I was able to do that and I was just curious as to how/if I can do this.
Ah, OK. If you want to use a command line to do it, you would use the ifconfig utility. Here's a good link to information on it.

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uifconfi.htm

Or in a terminal, you can type the following commands to learn about ifconfig:

man ifconfig
ifconfig --help

Hope that helps.

Post by 1.618 »

For your own network change the static ip's within your routers admin

For the external internet, I get a new ip address every day, i turn my router off at night so when i reboot in the morning i will be assigned a new IP, I also use 3 routers and switch between them regurlarly , every time i switch device i will also be assigned a new external ip
Fac51

Post by Fac51 »

The only way to "Hide" your public ip which is what you really are trying to do has to be done via "vpn" "Proxy". You can create your own vpn check out youtube lots of videos.
Or run the tor browser or just run tor and proxychains, once again lots of vids on youtube.

^Fac51
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

blackoutworm wrote:Thanks for you replay.
But I don't wanna use a VPN.
My internet connection gets slow whenever I use an VPN. I've tried a few free and paid ones.
It is impossible to change ones external IP address, without suffering a loss of latency and total bandwidth. *strokes beard* This is because packets must travel to a 2nd location when you use a vpn.

You MUST compromise if you wish to use an anonymity service. It's impossible to gain any anonymity without loosing speed.
Yaroslavi

Post by Yaroslavi »

You wrote here about using a VPN, but I can anonymize ip by using a proxy, or am I wrong? The point that I got from a friend a good discount for the proxies of our local provider, is it more profitable to take advantage of this offer.

Return to “Beginner Questions”