My computer's time-of-day isn't accurate, how to fix?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

My computer's time-of-day isn't accurate, how to fix?

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

My computer is several minutes off from what the real time of day is. I'd always assumed that the computer just 'knew' through (ISP? router?) some means what time of day it was, but now that I realize it's off it's driving me nuts, how do I fix this? Is there a way to make it so it does this itself and stays accurate to real time of day?

mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Re: My computer's time-of-day isn't accurate, how to fix?

Post by mintymintminty »

Every motherboard has a small round battery for time keeping. Sounds like you need a new one. Open it up and check what battery you need and replace it.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Open the settings for date & time and see, if network time is activated (by default it is). With this the time should get synchronized, when the computer boots and the Internet connection is established.

As this doesn't seem to work for you, open synaptic and check, if the package ntpdate is installed.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

as long it's connected to power, even if it's turned off, then it will still keep the correct time.

on one of my PCs, that battery was low, & the BIOS failed during a power failure. ..
didn't replace that battery, as it's usually kept connected to mains power.

this issue is more likely to be related to the PCs failure to sync to "Internet Time".
- even the Windows system has the "Internet Time" .. sync.

http://www.tecmint.com/how-to-synchroni ... tu-debian/
that's for Ubuntu - but those commands should also work in LinuxMint.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”