Software Update Manager should run after boot or wake-up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplex

Software Update Manager should run after boot or wake-up

Post by simplex »

(The following holds for all versions of Ubuntu, too, but I ask it here.)

Currently, I use my Mint 17.2 only 2-3 times a week to read my email and to do other every-day tasks such as doing bank transfers. All this takes no more than 5 minutes. Then I tell my Mint to go to sleep into hibernate mode or shut it down completely.

I have just observed that, in this way, I never get updates by the update manager. I set it a long time ago to update in a period of 3 days. So I have to click on the manger icon and tell it to look whether there are any updates (this means that I have to do some work of my own).

Why does the update system not get aware of the fact that the last time it ran was 17 days ago? It only starts counting from the boot/reanimate time.

Thank you in advance!

S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turtlebay777

Re: Software Update Manager should run after boot or wake-up

Post by turtlebay777 »

Automatic updates don't happen in Linux, that's a Windows thing for people who aren't experienced computer users.

It is normally accepted that someone choosing to use Linux instead of Windows, knows what they're doing around computers and is not happy just to let the system take over. You are expected to do a manual update when it is convenient for you.

If you want your operating system to take over may I respectfully suggest that Linux is not for you?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

The best place for feature suggestions is the Community Website (http://community.linuxmint.com/).

Create a login and then log in... then in My Place > My Ideas, click "Add a new idea" and type away. Then the Mint dev team and other community website members will see the suggestion, comment on the suggestion, and take appropriate action on the suggestion...

Good luck...

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
simplex

Post by simplex »

Reorx wrote:The best place for feature suggestions is the Community Website (http://community.linuxmint.com/).
I cannot create an account there, because a registration code is needed, and you only get it via the IRC chat channel. But nobody answers there, and there are only 7 members logged in currently.

I wonder whether you all do

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
every day by hand or whether you have set the update interval to the smallest possible value (daily) and run your machines 24h/d. Then you get propositions for updates, just how the update manager should do. But what if you use your Mint only 5 minutes a day?

Still logged in in #linuxmint-help with 5 other users, but no one gives ma an answer to my request of a registration code. So the Community Website will stay closed for me.

Greetings,
S.
Last edited by simplex on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This is indeed a problem in Mint, but thankfully it's easy to fix: you can set Update Manager to check for new updates at boot time. Like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ew-updates
(item 2, left column)

That forces Mint to run "apt-get update" at each boot (not at wake-up from hibernation, though).

You might also make the available updates more prominent, because the "blue icon" is easily overlooked:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -prominent
(item 3.8, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
simplex

Post by simplex »

Pjotr wrote:This is indeed a problem in Mint, but thankfully it's easy to fix: you can set Update Manager to check for new updates at boot time. Like this:
(item 2, left column)

That forces Mint to run "apt-get update" at each boot (not at wake-up from hibernation, though).
Thank you. This is a good answer in the Lunix community's spirit. :wink:

I just wonder whether "apt-get update" in the rc.local scipt will make "the blue icon blue".
You might also make the available updates more prominent, because the "blue icon" is easily overlooked:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -prominent
(item 3.8, right column)
Because I use MATE, and your link refers to Cinammon, But there is luckily an "analogous site" for MATE with the same hint: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -prominent
I will try it and report...

Thank you!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

simplex wrote: I have just observed that, in this way, I never get updates by the update manager. I set it a long time ago to update in a period of 3 days. [...]

Why does the update system not get aware of the fact that the last time it ran was 17 days ago? It only starts counting from the boot/reanimate time.
That's the way it works. If you place 3 days, then your system need to be running for 3 days before it checks updates.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

simplex wrote:
Reorx wrote:The best place for feature suggestions is the Community Website (http://community.linuxmint.com/).
I cannot create an account there, because a registration code is needed, and you only get it via the IRC chat channel. But nobody answers there, and there are only 7 members logged in currently.

The answer of turtlebay777 is offending and does not fit to Linux community style.

I wonder whether you all do

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
every day by hand or whether you have set the update interval to the smallest possible value (daily) and run your machines 24h/d. Then you get propositions for updates, just how the update manager should do. But what if you use your Mint only 5 minutes a day?

Still logged in in #linuxmint-help with 5 other users, but no one gives ma an answer to my request of a registration code. So the Community Website will stay closed for me.

Greetings,
S.
Usually all you have to say in the chat room is

I need a registration code

And the mintbot will send it
simplex

Post by simplex »

turtlebay777 wrote:If you want your operating system to take over may I respectfully suggest that Linux is not for you?
Yes, you are absolutely right. I shall delete now my Mint partition and add the freed space to my Windows 7 partition with gparted booted from a live USB stick and created with the outstanding mkusb script, hoping that I am too unexperienced for what I do, and then I shall wait for my update of Win7 to Win10 to come.

Linux is not made for me...

Thank you!
S.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Have you considered reducing the update interval to 3 minutes? If the length of a typical session is <5 minutes, the system would have enough time to check for updates before you ended the session.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
simplex

Post by simplex »

JeremyB wrote: Usually all you have to say in the chat room is

I need a registration code

And the mintbot will send it
I am in the chat room now with Xchat, since many minutes, said your magic words, but nothing happens...
simplex

Post by simplex »

BenTrabetere wrote:Have you considered reducing the update interval to 3 minutes? If the length of a typical session is <5 minutes, the system would have enough time to check for updates before you ended the session.
Of course I have, but then, in a (not so often) longer session, after all 3 minutes Mint searches for updates, slowing my machine down. That is what the problem is all about!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

simplex wrote: I am in the chat room now with Xchat, since many minutes, said your magic words, but nothing happens...
I don't see you there. What is your name? Are in #help channel?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

simplex wrote:Of course I have, but then, in a (not so often) longer session, after all 3 minutes Mint searches for updates, slowing my machine down. That is what the problem is all about!
The solution that I've described to you, should fix your problem.... Entirely, except for the hibernation wake-up.

I've set the interval for Update Manager at "once a day" on all of my machines, and although they never run longer than three hours or thereabouts, I never have to check for updates manually. :)
simplex

Post by simplex »

killer de bug wrote: I don't see you there. What is your name? Are in #help channel?
I do not see you there either :) I am in #linuxmint-help as user "ziegler".
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

simplex wrote:
killer de bug wrote: I don't see you there. What is your name? Are in #help channel?
I do not see you there either :) I am in #linuxmint-help as user "ziegler".
You are not in the channel. That's why you can't receive a code. I don't know where you are connected, but it's not in Linuxmint-chat or linuxmint-help.
helloimustbegoing

Post by helloimustbegoing »

Pjotr wrote:
This is indeed a problem in Mint, but thankfully it's easy to fix: you can set Update Manager to check for new updates at boot time. Like this:
(item 2, left column)
Great write-up, Pjotr. Thanks!

EDIT: (writing this one day later)
It works like a charm! Shortly after boot-up, I noticed there was an update (for Firefox).
helloimustbegoing

Post by helloimustbegoing »

It appears that it is no longer working. Tonight I booted into Mint, and about 15-20 minutes later I opened Update Manager and clicked Refresh, and then it showed that there were updates. What happened? I checked the rc.local file and it hasn't changed. :?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

helloimustbegoing wrote:It appears that it is no longer working. Tonight I booted into Mint, and about 15-20 minutes later I opened Update Manager and clicked Refresh, and then it showed that there were updates. What happened? I checked the rc.local file and it hasn't changed. :?
There's this possibility: the updates were just added to the Mint repo's in the 20 minutes *after* booting. It's a small chance, but it can happen....

Other possibility: due to the way Update Manager works, "my" tweak could cause the updates to show only "automatically" at the next boot: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1018443
(the message of Frankus333)
That would cause a relatively small delay as well. Small enough to be acceptable to me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”