ReSizing Disk Space

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Thomas00
Level 1
Level 1

ReSizing Disk Space

Post by Thomas00 »

Hey everybody,

Could use a bit of help please! I ran out of room on my linux partition and am now trying to free up space to add to it. I would like to take it away from my windows partition, is there a great program on linux that can help me do this?

Thanks!
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Repartitioning Disk Space

Post by Buzzsaw »

Use GParted in a live environment. That means boot from the disc or USB drive that you used to install Linux Mint, and run GParted from there.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Thomas00 wrote:Hey everybody,

Could use a bit of help please! I ran out of room on my linux partition and am now trying to free up space to add to it. I would like to take it away from my windows partition, is there a great program on linux that can help me do this?

Thanks!
NOT -- safely, that is. While GParted certainly can do that, it can also end up corrupting the Windows filesystem in the process -- if you're running Win7 or newer.

What will work in Windows is using Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD. Download the ISO file in Windows. Then, do one of the following (again, in Windows):
1) If you boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and choose the option to Write image file to disk. This will create a bootable CD.
2) If you boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and choose the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Boot from the Minitool media you created and use it to shrink the Windows partition. Since Windows is then, not running, it will do that OK.
Jerry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry »

Hi @Thomas00
First of all, Mark has a good suggestion in usinng mini tool partition wizard.

You want to add partition hard drive space to your existing Linux partition and you are interested in knowing if adding hard drive space will in some way affect booting or operational business with your system?
The answer is no. It will not.
I have done this and other hard drive space allocations/additions/deletions on my own systems many times over. Never a problem.
Are you doing this from another system to a second system on your hard drive (asked if you are dual booting)?
If not dual booting, you can very easily do this by adding to your 40_custom file, a live image of gparted which you can download and add that ISO file to your 40_custom file in

Code: Select all

/etc/grub.d/
after you do that, you will need to update grub of course with the command

sudo update-grub
What you are doing in a live ISO image of Gparted to your grub menu is allowing yourself to unmount all your partitions. It is necessary to unmount partitions in order to allocate space to any partition.

I have gparted added to my grub menu as a live ISO. And it allows me to do what you want.
This is what my 40_custom file looks like.

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Gparted live" {
      set isofile="/path/to/gparted/iso/file/gparted-live-0.20.0-2-amd64.iso"
      loopback loop $isofile
      linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
      initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
    }

If you are going to add gparted live iso file to your grub menu, it is best to have gparted in

/home/username
May you have good thermals.
Thomas00
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ReSizing Disk Space

Post by Thomas00 »

Thank you guys very much for your help, I will work on a solution and update my progress!

Thank you again!

Thomas00
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ReSizing Disk Space

Post by austin.texas »

As Mark Phelps wrote, "While GParted certainly can do that, it can also end up corrupting the Windows filesystem in the process -- if you're running Win7 or newer.
So the best way to resize your Windows partition is to use a Windows tool.

It would help to see a screenshot of your partitions in Gparted (or in a Windows Disk Manager program).
Jerry wrote:You want to add partition hard drive space to your existing Linux partition and you are interested in knowing if adding hard drive space will in some way affect booting or operational business with your system?
The answer is no. It will not.
That is not always true. It can, depending on how it is done.
Jerry wrote:If you are going to add gparted live iso file to your grub menu, it is best to have gparted in

/home/username
That will work fine if /home is on the same partition as /
It will fail if /home is on a different partition. If /home is on a different partition, that partition will not be mounted during the boot process, while Grub is trying to access the .iso file.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Newbie Questions”