YouTube and Monitor Screen Getting Turned Off

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

YouTube and Monitor Screen Getting Turned Off

Post by Radish »

I was watching some videos on YouTube last night. I found that the monitor screen was being turned off automatically. This would be in line with my Power Management settings. I have it set so that the screen gets turned off after five minutes of inactivity. The only way that could get around this was to go into the Power Management settings and set the value to 'Never'. I did this and then found that my system would go into suspend mode after ten minutes - same problem. Had to into Power Management and set suspend mode to 'Never'.

This problem doesn't happen on Windows computers. It shouldn't be happening on Linux systems. Why is this happening? Is there a way to prevent this from happening without having to go into Power Management and change settings every time I want to watch YouTube?
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: YouTube and Monitor Screen Getting Turned Off

Post by Reorx »

Change those settings to 1 hour! Very few YouTube vids are longer than an hour!... but if you find one, moving your mouse pointer (once every 59 minutes?) resets the count down timer back to 1 hour...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

Thanks Reorx. I understand what you are saying but it is only a workaround for something that shouldn't be happening at. If Windows can get this right then I can think of no reason why Mint can't either.

What component of Linux Mint Cinnamon would be involved in this, if Mint were getting it right? I want to go to GitHub and put this problem in as Feature Request, but what component of Mint do I post the request into?
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

See this recent post on the Mint community website.

Yes, my solution is a "quick and dirty" workaround but it works really well... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

There is a Screensaver Inhibitor applet available. I'm pretty sure that that would accomplish what you want.
Running LM 19 Cinnamon

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

hpmc13 wrote:There is a Screensaver Inhibitor applet available.
I've just searched in Software Manager for this, and variations on the name scheme, but nothing comes up that looks like what you are talking about. Would you know the correct title for this screensaver inhibitor?

EDIT: A day later I stumbled on this "Screensaver Inhibitor". Open "System Settings" > Applets, make sure the Show selection is set to "All applets". Look down the list and the applet can be seen having the title "Inhibit Applet". (Personally I don't see the use of it - it is only a couple of clicks to temporarily alter the Power Management settings.)

EDIT 2: Turns out the Inhibit Applet is useful to have running. If I play a video in VLC Media Player then the applet automatically steps in and disables the screen from blanking. Unfortunately it doesn't auto-step in and activate when you play a YouTube video - but if it's in the system tray then it is easy to inhibit via two clicks of the mouse.

cygnusx-1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cygnusx-1 »

this is a very ridiculous and annoying bug in gnu/linux world... :oops:

in my system I solve this stupid problem changing youtube to html5 mode.
The problem is that many other video sites use only flash mode yet...

rationalcoder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rationalcoder »

My problem ended up being because I had installed KDE and ended up with conflicting system settings options. I had KDE System Settings and System Settings. I removed everything KDE until the KDE System Settings went away and now setting everything to never is working properly.

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

A little while ago Mint Update offered a new version of Firefox to install. I installed it and that seems to have cured the problem as far a YouTube goes. Still exists for other things though so Inhibit Applet is still useful.

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

Also I should have mentioned that there was a bug in Mint that might have a bearing on this kind of thing for some programs. I reported the bug and a fix was coded. If, or when, that fix actually comes to users' systems I don't know - just wait and see. Details of the bug can be seen here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4933

Return to “Newbie Questions”