Wifi router setup in linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bubba

Wifi router setup in linux

Post by bubba »

How do I get into the wifi set up from linux? I know there is a way, I just can't remember.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brennanhm

Re: Wifi router setup in linux

Post by brennanhm »

Open Firefox and type in the IP address of your router in the address bar. Once the page loads, there will probably be a tab called "WIFI" or "Wireless" or something similar where you can set up the SSID, password, etc.

If you don't know the IP address of your router, type the "route" command from a terminal window and look for the Gateway's ip address. Most commonly it is 192.168.1.1

Code: Select all

brennan@brennan-PC /etc $ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.1.1        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.1.0        *               255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0 eth0
brennan@brennan-PC /etc $
bubba

Re: Wifi router setup in linux

Post by bubba »

Actually, it was easier than that. It's a WiFi extender, and all I had to do was go to their website and click on a setup file. I thought I was going to read about it, but it set the extender up for me. It was pretty nice.

Return to “Beginner Questions”