Making Flash work in firefox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pfd27
Level 2
Level 2

Making Flash work in firefox

Post by pfd27 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Guys

I just started with a new install of mate 17.2. How do I make flash work in Firefox and Chromium?
I must be missing something. Both browsers tell me I have a outdated version of flash when trying
to play a facebook game.
I downloaded google chrome direct from their page and it works fine, but I would really lik to use
firefox if possible.

Thanks

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Making Flash work in firefox

Post by xenopeek » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:15 am

Flash is only getting security updates on Linux from Adobe for version 11.2.x. Adobe doesn't support newer versions than 11.2.x on Linux.

Google has an agreement with Adobe and they ship their own build of Flash with Google Chrome (called PepperFlash). Google does support newer versions than 11.2.x on Linux and ships the latest Flash version with Chrome.

You can install that version of PepperFlash also to be used by Chromium or Firefox. Mind that you have to update it by hand yourself! Read: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=207898. To use PepperFlash on Firefox you have to install FreshPlayer plugin. Note that using Flash on Firefox, whichever version of Flash you use, is much less safe than using it on Chrome or Chromium. The latter two sandbox the Flash content so as to protect your operating system (not your own files, you need something else for that) from malware. Firefox doesn't sandbox plugins so there is no protection against Flash content with malware attacking your operating system.

I'd suggest you just use Google Chrome for facebook games.

Return to “Newbie Questions”