How to stop receiving old kernel upgrades?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
renzor

How to stop receiving old kernel upgrades?

Post by renzor »

I've upgraded my kernel to a newer version 4 but I still receive level 5 updates and via apt of 3.13/.19 related upgrades etc. How can I stop them from showing up in Update manager?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to stop receiving old kernel upgrades?

Post by Pjotr »

renzor wrote:I've upgraded my kernel to a newer version 4 but I still receive level 5 updates and via apt of 3.13/.19 related upgrades etc. How can I stop them from showing up in Update manager?

Thanks
Remove those older kernels.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

renzor wrote:I've upgraded my kernel to a newer version 4 but I still receive level 5 updates and via apt of 3.13/.19 related upgrades etc. How can I stop them from showing up in Update manager?

Thanks
Uninstall the kernels you no longer need.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

At first: You changed the settings of the update manager. That is your decision. With the default settings you wouldn't see them.

At second: Unlike the previous posters I warn against removing the old kernel. Chances are, that you come somewhere later to the finding, that the new kernel does not work properly (anything what you might not notice at once). At least one old kernel, which is known as working properly, should remain in the system.

If out what reason ever you want to stay with your current settings in the update manager, you still have the opportunity to exclude single updates via context menu from displaying.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Cosmo. wrote:one old kernel, which is known as working properly, should remain in the system.
Good advice.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”