Easiest way to clone OS to new drive?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Gofer83
Level 1
Level 1

Easiest way to clone OS to new drive?

Post by Gofer83 »

Hi everyone,

what is the easiest way to clone Mint OS from one SSD to another SSD?
By easiest I mean something like Samsung Migration on windows - an app, were you select source disk, select target disk, click apply, shutdown, replace the disk and voila - it just works :)
Did that yesterday on windows.
Now its time to move my Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnammon OS to new SSD.
Old SSD = OCZ VERTEX2 60GB
New SSD = Kingston 120GB

My Mint has its own SSD, no dualboot, just one root partition, using no swap, got enough RAM. Grub is installed on it so I can choose the OS when OCZ is set as primary boot option in bios.

Please post only the EASIEST solution. If you don't know it - don't post.
SYSTEM: Linux Mint 19 Tara 64bit | KERNEL: 4.15.0-24-generic | GUI: Cinnamon 3.8.7 | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.3Ghz | GPU: Asus GTX1080 Strix (nVidia Driver 396.18) | RAM: 32GB Gskill Ripjaws 4 (3000Mhz) | SSD:Kingston HyperX 120GB
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Easiest way to clone OS to new drive?

Post by tolkien »

You can use dd:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix ... hard-disk/

Edit: on a second thought, you could have problems with the drive's uuid and grub, so this might not be a good idea...
Last edited by tolkien on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"Please post only the EASIEST solution. If you don't know it - don't post." Get someone else to do it for you.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Gofer83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gofer83 »

Hi all,

finally I made it - the disk got cloned without problems and now Mint sits on a newer, faster SSD drive :mrgreen:
The dd command didn't work as expected - it messed up something with superblock of the target drive. Lost 3 hrs to find the solution, finally gave up.
I made it this way:

1. Booted into Mint Live CD (with only my two Linux disks attached to SATA, windows detached for security reasons)
2. Opened Gparted and copied the partition from source drive with a right mouse click
3. Pasted the partition to target drive and waited for the copy to end
4. Shutdown, left my target disk in, detached my old one, cause it will be used as external from now on
5. Attached all the windows drives to their coresponding SATA slots
6. Enjoyed, that everything worked as it should 8)

So far, this was the easiest way.
SYSTEM: Linux Mint 19 Tara 64bit | KERNEL: 4.15.0-24-generic | GUI: Cinnamon 3.8.7 | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.3Ghz | GPU: Asus GTX1080 Strix (nVidia Driver 396.18) | RAM: 32GB Gskill Ripjaws 4 (3000Mhz) | SSD:Kingston HyperX 120GB
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

I use to use Grsync or rsync. An example:

Code: Select all

sudo rsync -aAXv --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found} /* /path/newsystem
After rsyncing, UUIDs must be corrected on the newsystem using its partition UUID in the /etc/fstab file.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Gofer83 wrote:If you don't know it - don't post.
I don't know.
This isn't Burger King, you don't get it your way.

Return to “Newbie Questions”