ubuntu backports and "broken packages" solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: ubuntu backports and "broken packages"

Post by Husse »

does enabling backports and updating mean that you update kernel and etc.?
NO!
I'm confused
Taken from Ubuntu help
Candidates for version updates are primarily desktop applications, such as your web browser, word processor, IRC client, or IM client. These programs can be updated without replacing a large part of the operating system that would affect stability of the whole system.
Not the kernel.... unless I've missed something
Did you enable more than the backports perhaps?
And you don't (easily) discover which package is broken

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a 
and/or

Code: Select all

apt install -f
can fix it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: ubuntu backports and "broken packages"

Post by Husse »

Glad it worked out - this is when apt behaves badly....
This also demonstrates the difficulty of solving things in a forum - sitting in front of your computer I'd probably had located this really quick....
I'm a bit confused over this
new (mint 6) core packages [e.g. 2.6.24-16-generic]
The kernel version in Felicia is 2.6.27-7

Return to “Beginner Questions”