ruh-roh need help [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rob_j
Level 1
Level 1

ruh-roh need help [SOLVED]

Postby rob_j » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:28 pm

so, i decided to try Linux Mint and USB boot. I have a 2 week old Dell XPS 8900 desktop i7-6700 CPU @3.4 GHz 16 GB RAM that came with Windows 10.
see: http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-8900-Des ... 32642.html

I found a guide that told me to make a 20 GB partition for live boot trying it out. But i think i may have messed up because when i later figured out how to get Windows 10 to reboot from a USB the only options I had were:

preinstall Linux Mint 17.2
preinstall Linux Mint in compatibility mode
verify (i think)

i thought preinstall might have meant trial from USB as opposed to installing, so i chose the first.

I had to get the wireless to work and then opened Firefox. the fonts and look is kind of bad sort of like 1970's TV (video quality)...
the Dell came with 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 Graphics... I hooked up the monitor with both the DVi and VGA cables that came with it... but w/ Windows 10 i have crisp good monitor display... when i booted, a box came up with language choices but the font was hard to read and blurry so i chose the one that seemed like it said English.

I wonder if I need to uninstall and start all over(?) also should I have gone for 500 GB partition (the PC has 1TB total)? is there a way to redo that piece of it? is preinstalling something people do for PC's destined to be used by someone else altogether? i wonder why i had no install option...?

i am not versed in using command line i did later notice 10 gives me advanced startup choices of boot from USB UEFI or Boot from USB Legacy... the first time i went with UEFI... (which is when I preinstalled)

I rebooted and opened Linux and Linux loaded and i got a message that Mint was running in software rendering mode, that cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration, and as a result may observe higher than normal CPU usage..

this was all last night so i hope i remember right... i decided to sleep on it when i wasn't figuring it out.

i guess my questions are:

1. do i need to start over and make a new USB version of Mint -- if so what is the best source?
2. can you make a partition bigger after it was already created or do you need to make a whole new one? how big should i make my partition for mint? i want to dual boot Windows 10 / Mint and have about 1 TB total...
3. do i need to 'recover' Windows 10 now from back up etc? i don't believe i ever made a backup (i know that's plain wrong) but don't have much to lose yet
4. would 17.3 resolve the issue with Nvidia?

sorry for my lack of savoire faire. any help will be appreciated . thanks
Last edited by rob_j on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

rob_j
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ruh-roh need help

Postby rob_j » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:18 am

ok, so i just restarted and note when (from Windows 10 I choose > advanced startup options > boot from USB Storage Device (instead of boot from UEFI: Generic USB Flash Disk 0.00) it results in 9 lines of options:

UNetbootin

Preinstall Linux Mint in OEM Mode
Preinstall Linux Mint in OEM (compatibility mode)
Integrity check
Memory test
Boot from local drive
Preinstall Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit in OEM mode
Preinstall Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit in OEM mode (
Check the integrity of the medium

Press [Tab] to edit options

----------------------------------------------------------------------

when i do reboot in UEFI: Generic USB Flash Disk 0.00 it results in 3 lines of options:

Preinstall Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit in OEM mode
Preinstall Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit in OEM mode (compatibility mode)
Check the Integrity of the medium

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the first time I tried to use Linux -- these were the options and i used the first one.

- is my problem i should NOT have used EUFI Generic USB Flash Disk?
- do I need to undo anything, restart completely (maybe with 17.3) or... ?
- what is the first line in the UNetbootin "default" mean? is that a default install of Linux Mint?

finally if I only made my partition 20 GB can I make it larger after inastalling Linux Mint oir does one need to set the size of the partition before and only before installation?

any help will be appreciated. thanks

Pierre
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Pierre » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:10 am

really, 20Gb is a bit small ..
- 50 Gb is better, depending on just what you want to do with it,
apart from playing around with it, that is.

the Cinnamon DE does require the most in resources,
so, maybe try the Mate DE instead.

if you haven't done much with it, customization, etc etc,
then maybe just erase the partition & start again.
- use the installer to do that - erase bit - check the box, to format it.

& you shouldn't need the oem version - either.
the normal version, is fine.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
then use the default option, unless there is an video issue.
- in which case - use the 2nd option - (compatibility mode).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

rob_j
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rob_j » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:11 pm

1. So, let's say I want to make the partition 100 GB. Since it is now just 20 GB -- can I make it bigger or do I have to start over?

2. What is the 'installer' that you recommend i use to erase the current partition if I start over? something I run in command line or would it be part of the Linux Mint 17.2 that I downloaded to USB?

3. what is preinstall? is it just another way of saying install?

4. there does seem to be a video issue with nvidia... (4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 Graphics)

5. which option is best -- boot from: UEFI: Generic USB Flash Disk 0.00 -- or -- boot from USB Storage Device? why does Windows 10 have both? the UEFI version is the one I used first and it only had 3 choices vs the
boot from USB storage Device which gives me 9... is either boot method fine or is one superior for Linux?

6. if i want to uninstall all the Linux i have (to start completely over) -- do i use windows 10 or do i need to run a command in Linux Mint?

7. sorry for my confusion, thanks for your help

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:37 pm

I have never used Unetbootin to install, but I have installed Linux Mint certainly more than 100 times - and nothing you have said sounds correct to me.
To begin with, your Unetbootin refers to "OEM Mode". Are you sure you want OEM instead of the standard install?
Using the Rufus program is more reliable than using Unetbootin. There have been deficiencies noted in Unetbootin which make installing Mint in UEFI mode more difficult - if not impossible.
Please follow this guide to installing Mint.

rob_j wrote:i thought preinstall might have meant trial from USB as opposed to installing, so i chose the first.

"preinstall" might be a Unetbootin term that I am not familiar with, but the usual procedure is to create a Mint DVD or USB which is used to install Mint to the hard drive. It is refered to as a "live" Mint USB, since it includes the installation program as well as a complete stand-alone Mint operating system.
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

rob_j
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rob_j » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:11 pm

thank you for the Mint install guide. i note that it is for Windows 8.1 and I am using 10 -- is there one for 10 or is 10 the same as 8?

do i need to uninstall what i already installed/preinstalled & if so do i use Windows or Linux to uninstall?

if I made a 20 GB partition and now want it to be 100 GB -- how do i undo the 20 GB one or can I just enlarge it to be 100?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:21 pm

rob_j wrote:thank you for the Mint install guide. i note that it is for Windows 8.1 and I am using 10 -- is there one for 10 or is 10 the same as 8?

do i need to uninstall what i already installed/preinstalled & if so do i use Windows or Linux to uninstall?

if I made a 20 GB partition and now want it to be 100 GB -- how do i undo the 20 GB one or can I just enlarge it to be 100?

The procedure is going to be the same for Win 10 as Win 8.
In order to see exactly what you have, post a screenshot of your hard drive as seen in the Windows Disc Manager, or the Mint partition manager (Gparted).
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Linux Linx 2017

rob_j
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rob_j » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:58 pm

2 problems:

1 when i take a screenshot it shows both the screen -- it shows the partitions but also has a second screenshot that shows my desktop... when the monitor arrived it had two cables DVi and VGA. i hooked up DVi first and it said the graphics wasn't hooked up so i used the VGA cable as well... should i only have hooked up the DVi...? I never had a graphics card before (i dont think)...

2 i was able to crop the screenshot in word but the saved file is 2.1 MB and the forum will only let me upload 2 MB... this is embarrassing, but i can't figure out how to reduce the size

edit: figured it out, see attached
Attachments
screenshot12.19b.docx
(58.69 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:01 pm

It looks like you have a 1 TB drive with GPT partitioning, and Windows 10 is installed in UEFI mode.
Your main Windows partition (Drive C) is 897.90 GB with 829.85 GB unused.
In order to make room for Mint you might need to use the Windows Disc Manager to reduce the size of Drive C a little bit more for Mint. You currently have a 19 GB unallocated space where Mint could be installed, as you said previously. Since you want to increase it to 100 GB (and that is a good idea), you will decrease the size of Drive C by 80 GB.

Instructions for uploading graphics using imgur.com (or similar website)

The next step is to download the Mint .iso file according to the instructions on the tutorial page, and burn it to a USB using the Rufus program.

Linux Linx 2017

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Postby gold_finger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:13 pm

As stated by others, you downloaded the wrong version. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version is not the one you want. Here is link to the one you need: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=204.

Follow instructions posted by austin.texas to shrink Windows more and follow tutorial he posted to make Mint partitions and install. Here is link for Rufus tool to make the bootable Mint usb stick: https://rufus.akeo.ie/.

As Pierre said, if you run into video/graphics card issues boot in compatibility mode and after you do the install you can install the proper graphics driver for card using Driver Manager.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

rob_j
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rob_j » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:39 pm

thank you to all who have responded. i think i have what i need except i need to know if i should uninstall the Linux Mint. I realize if it was just a boot from USB it is not on the hard-drive, but i worry since i chose the pre-install Linux Mint OEM version if it is now on my PC and will be a wrong door i may use in the future after installing Mint the right way?

also, what is the 500 MB Healthy EFI partition thing that shows up in my screenshot? i guess nothing to worry about?

just let me know if i need to uninstall the Linux Mint i preinstalled and if I use Windows or Linux to do that and i will resolve this. i may not be able to try out the new instructions till next week as i go back to work tomorrow and am working long hours this time of year. thank you again all who have had the patience to reply and try to help

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:14 am

rob_j wrote:thank you to all who have responded. i think i have what i need except i need to know if i should uninstall the Linux Mint. I realize if it was just a boot from USB it is not on the hard-drive, but i worry since i chose the pre-install Linux Mint OEM version if it is now on my PC and will be a wrong door i may use in the future after installing Mint the right way?
You don't have to worry about the USB you created. It is not on your hard drive and does not effect your hard drive.
Rufus will wipe the USB clean and create a new configuration on the USB automatically when you tell it to load the Mint .iso file to the USB.

rob_j wrote:also, what is the 500 MB Healthy EFI partition thing that shows up in my screenshot? i guess nothing to worry about?
The EFI partition is refered to as the ESP (EFI System Partition). Both Windows and Mint will use that partition for boot information. It is part of the EFI boot process. Do not change it.

Linux Linx 2017

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Postby gold_finger » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:29 am

rob_j wrote:just let me know if i need to uninstall the Linux Mint i preinstalled and if I use Windows or Linux to do that and i will resolve this.

Boot with Mint usb, then delete the partition with GParted program (found under Menu -> Administration -> GParted or Partition Drives). Here is a tutorial for GParted if you need it: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html.

Then make new partitions for the new Mint installation with GParted. (Note: because drive is using GPT partitions, all partitions will be "primary" -- no need for "extended" and/or "logical" partitions.) Would recommend you create the following:
  • One 20-25GB partition, formatted as Ext4 (to be used as Root partition during install)
  • One large Ext4 partition to house your data files. Size = remaining free space less amount you will need for a Swap partition. (This will be your Home partition during install)
  • One "linux-swap" partition, size => RAM installed on computer (if you plan to use hibernation); otherwise 2-4GB should be plenty.

When done making partitions, follow this tutorial for installing: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126.

rob_j wrote:what is the 500 MB Healthy EFI partition thing that shows up in my screenshot?

That's the partition that holds boot loaders for Windows and Mint. UEFI firmware (when booting in UEFI mode) looks to that partition to finish boot process. Don't alter or delete that partition.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”