Need apt-get to fetch updated version of sextractor to in...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andrejfavia

Need apt-get to fetch updated version of sextractor to in...

Post by andrejfavia »

Need apt-get to fetch updated version of sextractor to install it

Greetings.

I need apt-get to fetch updated version of sextractor to install it. Currently apt-get tries to install 2.8.6, whereas the current version is 2.19.5.

The software is: https://www.astromatic.net/software/sextractor

So, I tried to look up some other directions to install it, using gcc, FFTW (which I assume is under libfftw-dev), and ATLAS, and then doing a ./configure on the sextractor code.

But that doesn't work. I have tried to go through this process on a few machines and OSs in years' past. With each time that I go through this process from a fresh install, and following the same directions, something goes wrong, but each time it's a different "something." So, I've tried following other people's directions, but they don't work either, which leaves me to guess my way through each installation to figure out why and I'm just confused.

Meanwhile, it would just be easier if someone would submit a formula to have 2.19.5 automatically install and download any extra libraries, and to utilize dual core.

I can attempt to troubleshoot how to get sextractor 2.19.5 to work from Linux Mint 17.2 (somewhat fresh copy), but I will be away from the test machine over the new year's break. Anyway, how do I request an updated formula?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Need apt-get to fetch updated version of sextractor to i

Post by cwsnyder »

You seem to be totally confused on how software for Linux is distributed. dpkg , apt , apt-get , Software Center, and/or Synaptic only install from the distribution packaged files which have been tested to work on Linux Mint, which version 2.8.6 has been.

Occasionally someone wants a newer package of files, have some programming experience, and puts together a Personal Package Archive (or PPA) which can be shared and used on both Ubuntu and main line Linux Mint. These have not been extensively tested, but have been compiled to executable format, and have package dependencies listed so that dpkg, apt, et. al. can properly link the libraries on which it depends and can update the files if newer ones become available from those PPAs.

Random packages off the Internet, unlike with Windows, are not usually distributed in executable file format. Normally they are distributed in source code format which must be compiled and linked to become executable and may or may not have the proper library dependencies listed and available. Also unstated, you must have the proper development packages for the Linux kernel on which you are attempting to install so that the links to the proper system calls are made. Further reading here: http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/ . Ubuntu and Debian provide most of the packages for the Mint libraries.

Basically, if you need the latest package and do not find it supported in PPA or form or available from the distro packaging via apt-get you have 2 choices: Learn enough to install the source: http://www.howtogeek.com/105413/how-to- ... on-ubuntu/ , https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo . Or talk a programmer who is interested into installing it for you.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Sometimes - but not always - you can convert an RPM file to a .deb with alien. You might give that a shot. Else, it's compile from source.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
andrejfavia

Post by andrejfavia »

So, how do I request that version 2.19.5 be tested? That's what I'm asking.

As for source, when I have tried to install it from source, from experiences in the past, I keep getting all kinds of errors. Something goes wrong, but each time it's a different "something." So, I've tried following other people's directions, but they don't work either. For instance, it might be a problem with dependencies LAPACK or CBLAS, or I get make[...] errors that have no explanation for what the problem is, so I'm guessing at what to do.

So, what is the proper forum to ask these questions to troubleshoot the installation?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

andrejfavia wrote:So, how do I request that version 2.19.5 be tested? That's what I'm asking.
This is probably the place to request that, but your request subject is poorly formulated and no interest was generated.

You can probably test the version in Linux Mint by following this procedure, which worked for me to at least install 2.19.5 on my computer:
First, download the sextractor-2.19.5-1.x86_64.rpm file from http://www.astromatic.net/software/sextractor or by clicking the following link http://www.astromatic.net/download/sext ... x86_64.rpm
Next, install the alien package on Mint to allow translation of an RPM package to a DEB package with dpkg on Mint. I used the following in a terminal to install both alien and all recommended dependencies.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install alien --install-suggests
The following terminal code then translates the RPM package to a DEB package, assuming your RPM package is in the ~/Downloads/ folder.

sudo alien --to-deb ~/Downloads/sextractor-2.19.5-1.x86_64.rpm
This should leave your new .DEB package in the folder your terminal is using as default (probably ~). To install the new DEB package, you can double-click on the filename.deb file (should be sextractor-2.19.5-2.x86-64.deb) or use the following terminal code.

sudo dpkg -i sextractor-2.19.5-2.x86_64.deb
You should now be able to run the program from the terminal by typing in sextractor or find it in your menu.
andrejfavia

Re: Need apt-get to fetch updated version of sextractor to in...

Post by andrejfavia »

Well I was able to install alien, and when I double-click on the .deb file and ask it to install, it tells me:

"Package `sextractor_2.19.5-2_amd64.deb' was installed."

But when I type

sextractor

into a Terminal window, it tells me: "The program 'sextractor' is currently not installed."

So, what's going on?

Also, I was trying to install sextractor by hand using the "brute force" method of installing gcc, fftw, atlas... the problem is when I try to run make on fftw 3.3.4, using the source code located at

http://www.fftw.org/download.html

I receive error message, and I am not sure where to ask questions to get help on this. For example, using the brute force method, I receive this error message:

"../libtool: line 1088: /usr/bin/ranlib: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
make[2]: *** [libkernel.la] Error 126
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mintuser/Desktop/fftw-3.3.4/kernel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mintuser/Desktop/fftw-3.3.4'
"

When I type

ranlib

into the Terminal window, I receive the following error message:

bash: /usr/bin/ranlib: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

So, it seems that ranlib is getting in the way of my installing fftw and sextractor.

How do I fix this?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Via the RPM -> DEB route, just as you have already...

SExtractor version 2.19.5 (2014-03-19)
SYNTAX: sex <image> [<image2>][-c <configuration_file>][-<keyword> <value>]

...not sextractor notice, just plain sex --smirk--

https://wikis.bris.ac.uk/display/astro/Sextractor
andrejfavia

Post by andrejfavia »

But what about FFTW and the issues with ranlib?
andrejfavia

Post by andrejfavia »

Greetings again.

I have not yet received a response to my question about why a direct installation of FFTW fails with an error message about ranlib. Can someone help me?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

No one who knows anythng is going to be particularly interested in how to make an rpm package install in a debian based system like Mint. If the people who develop it can't be bothered ... the Debian packaging system as used by ubuntu/mint/many others is the most common one by far AFAIK ... why should they? Installing rpm packages in a ubuntu/mint install is possible but unreliable. I certainly couldn't be bothered.

As mentioned in an earlier post, you ask unreasonable questions and apparently don't read the answers.

If you really need it that much install Fedora. But good luck getting your hand held on their tech support, or any rpm based distro I know of.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
andrejfavia

Post by andrejfavia »

Hoser Rob wrote:As mentioned in an earlier post, you ask unreasonable questions and apparently don't read the answers.
No I do not ask unreasonable questions. And I DO read the answers. Why are you being rude? How do you feel when you get wrongly accused?

Nor was I asking about rpm. I was clearly asking about FFTW and ranlib.

What does Debian has to do with any of this when I have already established that it provided me with an outdated version of Source Extractor and I am trying to install the current version manually?

Can you help... why does my compile-from-source method fail?
andrejfavia

Post by andrejfavia »

[...4 weeks later...]

Greetings once again!

I still don't have an answer. Can someone answer me concerning FFTW and ranlib?
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Sorry! It looked like the thread diverged a couple of months back. just before you split and asked the last question it looked like you were not responding to the questions of those trying to help you. Keep it light!!! Maybe an accumulated :? :lol: bug in the "sextractor".
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Try re reading the manual and instructions from the original manual at the site, I think you got the program from.
It went right in on my LM17.3 Cinnimon64. I had a bit of a problem with the * .rpm file but I used the same method on it as I used on my Xerox printer with the factory Linux driver. It runs very similar and looks much fancier than the one I still have in my old commodore 64. It runs off of a floppy. :shock:
BTW is is a nice astronomical studies program.

https://www.astromatic.net/pubsvn/softw ... sextractor.
andrejfavia

Post by andrejfavia »

Well the only way that I have gotten SExtractor 2.19.5 to install, is not through sudo apt-get, since all that did was install the OLD version (2.8.6), but by downloading the .rpm file and converting it via alien, just as you did. That was the only way that it would work.

So, can someone recommend another website where I can ask about FFTW/ranlib in case I ever need to compile it myself without alien? And where in the manual does it tell me why FFTW and ran lib aren't cooperating?

Return to “Beginner Questions”