Cannot stream laptop to tv

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
iampuzzled
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot stream laptop to tv

Post by iampuzzled »

Hopefully this is an easy hit for the gurus!

In windoz, when I plug my laptop into my tv via the hdmi lead, I can view You Tube vids on the tv. When Im in Linux mint 17 and do the same thing, all I get is the laptop \ Linux home screen and no YT video.

Ive had a look in display setting and cannot see anything unusual. Anyone tell me how to get the same viewing results in Linux as I do in windoz/

lappie in a Lenovo Z50 running Nvidia Geforce graphics card.

TIA

txba516
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot stream laptop to tv

Post by txba516 »

Hi iampuzzled,

Most likely what is happening is the default behavior of Windows and Mint are different for what to do when you plug in a 2nd monitor. I suspect when you plug in with Windows, it mirrors your desktop screen onto the TV (start bar, icons, etc). Whereas with Mint, I'll bet the TV is configured as a secondary display (logically positioned to the left or the right of your laptop display). If you connect the TV while in Mint and see the desktop background, try moving your mouse past the right or left edge of your laptop screen and see if it appears on the TV. You could also look in the Display section of System Settings (In the Hardware section). This will tell you how Mint is identifying the TV and what you want to configure it to do (become primary, extend, or mirror).

Cheers!
LM17.2 x64 Cinnamon
Help the forums get answers faster! Mark your fixed problem thread as [SOLVED]

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Need more info on the graphics adapter & driver in use. Read ...

http://www.binarytides.com/linux-get-gpu-information/

... and post some info back here.

iampuzzled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iampuzzled »

txba516 wrote:Hi iampuzzled,

Most likely what is happening is the default behavior of Windows and Mint are different for what to do when you plug in a 2nd monitor. I suspect when you plug in with Windows, it mirrors your desktop screen onto the TV (start bar, icons, etc). Whereas with Mint, I'll bet the TV is configured as a secondary display (logically positioned to the left or the right of your laptop display). If you connect the TV while in Mint and see the desktop background, try moving your mouse past the right or left edge of your laptop screen and see if it appears on the TV. You could also look in the Display section of System Settings (In the Hardware section). This will tell you how Mint is identifying the TV and what you want to configure it to do (become primary, extend, or mirror).

Cheers!
Hi. That didnt work. I thought I found a solution via display. I got a message that NVidia drivers were recommended to loaded these. It cured the problem of viewing YT in a window but after about an hour, went crazy and suddenly opened about 50 separate windows!

After rebooting, I then found the mouse \ keyboard froze after several uses. I reverted to the original display drivers but this only gave a few minutes before everything froze (surprised ive got this far!).

Anyone know how to cure this freezing!?

Return to “Newbie Questions”