how to change physical location within automatically selecte

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

how to change physical location within automatically selecte

Post by zippytex »

When I install linuxmint it automatically makes me choose between large cities in a time zone. How can I change it to reflect my correct zipcode? When I visit Walmart, etc., it automatically fixes my store as the large city that linux mint installed. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: how to change physical location within automatically sel

Post by Habitual »

zippytex wrote:When I install linuxmint it automatically makes me choose between large cities in a time zone. How can I change it to reflect my correct zipcode? When I visit Walmart, etc., it automatically fixes my store as the large city that linux mint installed. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.
You select the region your zip code is in.
If you are 90210, you should select America/Los_Angeles.

"Fix" what? Selecting the Timezone or Region during install has nothing to do with search engine results for your local Wally-Mart.

google a few dozen times
walmart <zip code>
Google is pretty smart like that.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: how to change physical location within automatically sel

Post by Mute Ant »

"How to change physical location" I don't think you can, although you can arrange for your location to be else-where, you can't specify exactly-where. Google is convinced I live in Norwich, even if I set my timezone to Moscow. It's looking at the internet address of the computer doing the asking...your ISP's local connection to the outside world.
DEMO: Download and use the Tor Browser https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en Walmart will see you in Brazil, or New Zealand, or maybe even Norwich.
Congratulations. This browser is configured to use Tor.
Your IP address appears to be: 50.7.124.246
Please refer to the Tor website for further information about using Tor safely. You are now free to browse the Internet anonymously. For more information about this exit relay, see: Atlas.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Newbie Questions”