Request specific tech references

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Request specific tech references

Post by jdmckay » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Hello,

Been playing with Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64, especially trying to learn lower level skills. I was accomplished in Windows world some years ago, but Linux world I'm just getting my feet wet. In particular, I'm hoping some gurus here can point me to good technical articles on:

1) Linux Directory structure and specific and generalized info on what should go where and why. I haven't found a good reference, and every time I go looking for something seems I'm starting from scratch. Just looking now at IBM Linux online tutorials: appreciate good guidance on this. Finding ARCH Linux wiki good for a lot of things (very detailed)
2) Pros/Cons (or better, functional rational) for partitioning a Linux installation by combining directories (like root/home) or separating them. And what are other options? Seen couple articles showing even separate \opt partition. I'd really like to get my head around this stuff.
3) Also wondering about disk (or disks) management... handling multiple OS installations (for me interested really in Linux, possibly BSD) using GPT. GPT is new to me, and still have some mental "wires crossed" as I still think in terms of MBR. Spent considerable time last couple weeks getting BootIT BM working well handling both Windows and Linux, and it seems pretty solid now. But I'm beginning to think I'm reaching into the past too much doing this. My reading on GPT is still pretty generalized, but I understand rational and basic mechanics. But nothing yet on management tools. We develop specialized websites, and I'm pointing to begin doing my own hosting when I'm ready. So I want to clear my thinking on disk(s) management.

Ok, Thx.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Request specific tech references

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:11 pm

#1 I'm not quite sure, what you mean. If you install from the repositories you don't have to deal with this question, the files go automatically to the right places.
Inside your home you have 2 types of files: Those which get stored automatically by the system or the programs during usage: Again, you don't have a choice, otherwise the files would not get found. And the others (commonly user data: You can create a tree structure to your liking.

#2 You will not get the absolute only "do this" or "do that" regarding a separate home. There are different opinions with different arguments about the pro and cons. This thread gives you a very good overview about the point of views. If you read it you will quickly find, that I strongly recommend a separate home out of various reasons.
Other separate partitions are in most cases not needed and you should leave the respective folders inside the system partition. In case of a fully encrypted drive a separate /boot partition is needed, otherwise you should leave it in the system partition to prevent possible problems later.

#3 If your computer runs with UEFI, GPT is the logical partitioning format, but you can use GPT also in most cases in BIOS mode. There are some pc models, which don't work in this combination (they do not boot), but this is the exception. If you have a very big drive you have no alternative, but also for drives with less than 2 GB GPT gives you more freedom in arranging your partitions. You can create as much partitions as you want and you not need the specialties of extended partitions (they don't exist in GPT). (OK, not really, but who wants to divide his drive in more than 128 partitions?)
Note that in case of dual-booting with Windows your options are limited.

jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdmckay » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi & Happy New Year;

> #1 I'm not quite sure, what you mean. If you install from the repositories you don't have to deal with this question, the files go automatically to the right places.

I know! I'm not asking from user perspective,,, I'm pleased with Mint.

I'm going to take the plunge and learn Linux inside out. Purpose directories & how they are used... I haven'd dug hard, but haven't found good reference yet even on Linux.org. Gott'a start somewhere, right?

> #2 (...) This thread gives you a very good overview about the point of views.

Thanks.

> #3 <snip>

Thanks. I really need to study... do some catching up.

I spent considerable time last couple weeks getting Mint/Win 10 dual booting with BootIt BM EMBR setup. I have almost unlimited primaries this way, and this worked great 7-8 years ago even for admin duties. But GPT/UFEFI having changed game, and I think I want to go a different route. Just having to install Grub in partitions is making me a bit nervous.

Anyway, thx & if you (anyone) have good ref for what I asked for in #1 I appreciatte it.

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Trying to wrap my head around the Linux file and directory structure was the biggest obstacle I faced in my transition to Linux. This helped me to understand.

I also found a lot of helpful information at the The Linux Documentation Project.

The Documents / Guides page has a heaping handful of books to view online or download. I suggest downloading the PDFs for the following.

Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide has a nice, simplified description of the directory structure.
Linux Filesystem Hierarchy is more than you want or need to know about the file system and directory structure. Detailed and comprehensive, and so dry it should come with a glass of water.

While you are there I suggest you also grab GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary, Linux Dictionary, Bash Guide for Beginners, and Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide.

Just because.

jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdmckay » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks tons Ben, almost exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

Return to “Newbie Questions”