Why did 17.3 Cinnamon not create the std directories?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Why did 17.3 Cinnamon not create the std directories?

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:I was never asked to set up partitions or anything
Let us try to clear this up.

If you run the installer you should get
  • the language selector
    a dialog which tells about the prerequisites
    a page with different installation methods, the last one is the said "something else" method, with this method an additional dialog appears where you can define the partitions
    a selector for your location
    a selector for your keyboard
    and only then the dialog which lets you enter your name, the machine's name, your password and the method for logging in
Do you say, that nothing of that appears except the last?
Did you download the ISO image from the official site? Did you check the md5 sum?

I finally got the laptop to boot reliably "everytime" from a USB port.
I went thru many repetitive installs to see what different options came up.

I did once, click on Something Else:
but, was presented with a 'blank slate' and had no idea what to do with any of it...

so, I just backed out, and let it install automatically once again...

it is all running smoothly, no problems. I have decided that I don't need a separate partition, and will just use Rosa 17.3 Cinnamon just like it came out of the box.

Later, after a few months of use, or when I feel a bit more easy with Linux, then I might create a new partition and set it up as /data or /home... depending on IF, the chance of running Windows ever comes up again.... I doubt it, I have a nice, fast Win7 Desktop and it takes care of everything.

all I want this laptop to do, is cruise the internet with ease, be reliable, and let me learn Linux at my own pace.

I am dabbling a bit, with different aspects of Linux each night... like turning off the damn Mousepad when I am typing.... I hate it when the cursor suddenly jumps up into the middle of text that has already been written, and I am typing at 120 wpm and don't notice that it moved... that creates on hell of a mess.

also, getting rid of all of those requirements for a password if it goes to sleep. It will never be out of my hands, it does not need any security measures. Nor, will it ever have any of my finances on it. Evernote won't run on Linux, so they screwed the pooch there, as that is where all of my important info is stored.... works with Android phones, so why not Linux?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:25 am

Regarding the password after sleeping: Open the screensaver settings and disable the first options.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:58 am

if it's now working A.ok - install virtualbox
into the system and continue to play around with
both the installer & the system - in a safer environment.

once you have practiced some further installations, including partitioning,
then attempt another, real installation.

maybe when Mint18x comes available, in a few more months, time.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:49 am

For your Evernote woes give Cherrytree for Linux a try. Not as sophisticated as Evernote but might serve your purposes for notetaking on a GNU/Linux system. Also you can get Cherrytree for Windows so you can share the notes between the two systems.

There is also Treepad Lite for Linux. You can also get Treepad Lite for Windows so can share the same notes between the two systems. I don't think Treepad Lite for Linux is in active development any more - the last release was in 2013. On my own system I use Treepad Business Edition (which I've used for years) running under Wine and it works very well - but you have to purchase it, not free. Maybe you could get Treepad Lite for Windows running okay under Wine if you just want to use a single 'exe' file.

You could also try contacting Evernote Corp. and complain that they don't produce a Linux version. Probably won't have any effect at all but at least you let them know your views. I like their advertising blurb "Available on everything you use every day." Well now you know the truth.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:35 am

by Cosmo.
Regarding the password after sleeping: Open the screensaver settings and disable the first options.
Tnx, got that taken care of now.

by Pierre
if it's now working A.ok - install virtualbox
into the system and continue to play around with
both the installer & the system - in a safer environment.
Tnx for that hint, I will start working with that, will be nice to not have to go thru the pains of redoing the base install everyday. I did notice that after my many failed attempts ( all caused by a BIOS that was turning off the USB ports midway thru the installs ) that I am getting more used to Linux. I will never be as good as I am with Windows where I readily dive into the Registry w/o a whimper... but at least I can get comfortable with it.

by Radish
For your Evernote woes give Cherrytree for Linux a try. Not as sophisticated as Evernote but might serve your purposes for notetaking on a GNU/Linux system. Also you can get Cherrytree for Windows so you can share the notes between the two systems.

There is also Treepad Lite for Linux.
Thx for those two hints, I will explore that and see how I get along with either of them. They will have to work on my Android cellphone as well as Windows, or it won't fill the bill.

Last night, I learned how to make kybd shortcuts so I can startup my favorite apps w/o using a mouse. So, progress is being made.

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:46 pm

@AZgl1500, have you considered using an Android virtual machine using Android-x86http://www.android-x86.org/ to run the Android Evernote client? Or is that too complicated at this point? If so, have you looked at genymotion https://www.genymotion.com/#!/ ?
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:54 am

cwsnyder wrote:@AZgl1500, have you considered using an Android virtual machine using Android-x86http://www.android-x86.org/ to run the Android Evernote client? Or is that too complicated at this point? If so, have you looked at genymotion https://www.genymotion.com/#!/ ?

Thx for that info.

I had not thought of it yet, simply because I'm still new to Linux and don't have the benefit of "rhetorical knowledge" yet...

I don't mind doing what you suggest, I definitely will give it a go because that could definitely help me out quite a bit.... right now, I have to use my cellphone to look things up, and it would be a lot easier to do copy/paste from the laptop.

I'll give that a go and report back here. :)

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:35 am

Another alternative is to install the Android development system on your Mint box. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html This SDK includes an Android emulator.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

Return to “Newbie Questions”