(SOLVED)Two operating questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED)Two operating questions

Post by BoDill »

Hello,

First, my computer seems to have slowed down a bit lately, and I don't know why. Is there some way to find out if a Linux computer has picked up a virus (or any other kind of infection)?

Next, today I clicked on a link to this website; (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ng-7103479) and when it opened, a small box in the corner opened and said something about loading or downloading something to make viewing (or accessing or something) easier (or faster or something). I started reading the "Box" and it disappeared. I closed out of the site and reopened it, but this time, no box. Since I barely got to read any of it, I'm not sure what it said (as you can see in the previous sentences).

So.......that is two different questions, basically on the same subject. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance, and Happy New Year,

BoDill
Last edited by BoDill on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Two operating questions

Post by Cosmo. »

BoDill wrote:First, my computer seems to have slowed down a bit lately
Please describe this in detail. How much is "a bit"? Which operations? Which programs?

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To Cosmo,

It seems that lately when I turn my computer on, or switch from one website to another, there is a hesitation of a few seconds. I can't put my finger on anything in particular (or I would have done that in my original post), it just seems to have "Built in hesitation" lately. It is not a long time; perhaps just a few seconds, but I am used to Linux being rather quick.

I'm sorry that I don't have more specific information. Perhaps a better way to ask the question would be,"Are there any viruses or infections out there that affect Linux?".

As usual, I appreciate your help.....

BoDill
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

As far as I can see your only complaint is about the browser. Which one. I assume Firefox, as it comes pre-installed.

Problems like this are often caused by the FF-profile. To find this out do the following:
Close FF.
Open your file-manager and make hidden files visible.
Rename the folder .mozilla to .mozilla.bck
Start FF, this will create automatically a new FF-profile.
Check.

To get back to your old profile:
Close FF.
Delete the new folder .mozilla
Rename the folder .mozila.bck back to .mozilla
Start FF. Done.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

Again to Cosmo;

Thank you.

It took me awhile to figure out how to follow your directions (I'm that inept at computer use) but I think I have succeeded. Since I just turned on the computer, and it took awhile to get started, I'm assuming that it is getting used to something new in the start-up process. With that said, I'm not sure if the problem is solved, but I wanted to thank you for your help right away. If the delays persist, I'll let you know in a couple of days.

BoDill

Return to “Newbie Questions”