(SOLVED)About Vbox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED)About Vbox

Post by BoDill »

Hello,

Lately when starting my computer, I get a little window in the upper right hand corner that says something about “Vbox client is not running”, but it disappears before I can read it all.

I have looked around the Internet to find out what Vbox is for, and am not sure that I understand its function. It seems to be for using different operating systems on the same computer, but I may be misinterpreting the information.

At any rate, I have two desktops; one with only Linux, and one with only Windows XP, which I set up so that I would have a backup I if wanted to use something that didn't work in Linux. Fortunately, I haven't had to use the Windows computer for some time.

I don't think that I need Vbox, but when I went on-line to find out how to delete Vbox, I got some confusing information (so I haven't tried to do anything yet).

When I searched my desktop file systems for Vbox, I got a list of 79 files, some of which seemed to repeat several times. Now I have a couple of questions.......

Please keep in mind that I am not very knowledgeable about computer stuff, so feel free to give advice in very simple, idiot level terms.

1. Since I use this computer ONLY for Linux, is there any reason for me to have Vbox?

2. If I don't need it, is there an easy way to get rid of it (like go to “File system” and delete all 79 entries that contain the word “virtualbox”)

Your help and patience is greatly appreciated.

BoDill
Last edited by BoDill on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: About Vbox

Post by karlchen »

Hello, BoDill.

You are not the only one and not the first one to come across the informational notice "vboxclient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running".
Please, pay a visit to this thread: vboxclient the virtualbox kernel service is not running
It should answer all your questions, including the correct way of uninstalling the vboxclient software.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

Hello, again,

Sadly, I have been trying to get all the Virtualbox stuff off (or out of) my computer with such terminal entries as these (and many more actually) with no luck;

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox* --purge

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox*--purge

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-\*

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-\*

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-ose --purge

sudo ./VirtualBox.run unintstall

When I go to (I'll try to type in the entries in series);

Menu - SEARCH - (now I enter) Virtualbox - enter - Look in folder - file system - Find, I now get 44 files, all with the name "Virtualbox" in them.

Perhaps the files aren't doing any harm, but I don't like to have useless stuff taking up space. Any other ideas??

Thanks again,

BoDill (and I'm done for tonight 1/2/16)
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, BoDill.

Here are the steps to uninstall Virtualbox Guest software packages completely.
  • From the Mint Menu launch Synaptic Package Manager.
  • When prompted enter your password and confirm.
  • Inside Synaptic, in the left hand panel lower half, click on the button [Status] to display software packages by installation status.
  • Inside Synaptic, in the left hand panel lower half, click on the status "Installed" (without any further qualification).
  • At the top of the application window enter the string "virtualbox" (in lower case letters, without the surrounding double quotes) in the quick filter edit field.
  • The right hand panel should list the following software package names: virtualbox-guest-x11, virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils
  • Mark all three and right click. From the right click context menu select "Mark for complete removal".
  • At the top of the application window click on the [Apply] button.
  • Synaptic is going to display a dialogue box listing what it is going to uninstall completely. Confirm.
  • Synaptic will now completely remove the 3 software packages and their settings and also remove their references from the kernel.
  • In order to complete the uninstallation, it will be necessary to reboot after Synaptic has completed its job.
    So once Synaptic has finished its job, close Synaptic and reboot Linux Mint.
After the reboot no more notification should popup telling you "VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running. Exiting."

In case the message should still popup, then open a terminal window and execute the following commandline

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-xclient
This will remove the scripts which actually triggers the notification popup.

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To karichen,

First, thank you for taking the time and trouble go give me such a complete answer. Now; here is what has happened so far;

After I typed "virualbox" into the Application Window (your fifth instruction), I got nothing in the "right hand panel". Then when I went back over to the "left hand panel" (your fourth instruction) and clicked on "Not installed", I got 28 items listed.

Since I didn't have any further instructions to cover that event, I tried the code that you gave me at the end (sumo, etc), and got a response saying,"rm: cannot remove '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/98xboxadd-xclient': No such file or document" (and I paid careful attention to capitol letters).

Perhaps you can briefly explain, or tell me where to find an explanation, of why I have 28 "not installed" things in/on my computer, and tell me if they are actually taking up space. Also, if there is a way to get rid of such stuff, perhaps there are others besides me who would like to get rid of it.

Thank you ahead of time......

BoDill

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

BoDill wrote:After I typed "virualbox" into the Application Window (your fifth instruction), I got nothing in the "right hand panel".
virtualbox
With this typo the result is obvious.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To karichen and all;

First, I had spelled "virtualbox" correctly in the exercise, just not in my report (and I tried it again to be sure).

In the meantime, I found this website and am considering trying the removal instructions that it lists (for example; sudo apt-get purge foo).

Do you see anything wrong with this?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/661023/x ... ge-manager

Thanks again,
BoDill

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

BoDill wrote:After I typed "virualbox" into the Application Window (your fifth instruction), I got nothing in the "right hand panel". Then when I went back over to the "left hand panel" (your fourth instruction) and clicked on "Not installed", I got 28 items listed.
"Not installed" means, that those packages are not on your computer, but the repositories hold them available, in case you want to install them. Consequently there is nothing to remove.

Question is, if you see in this list of not installed packages also the 3 packages, that karlchen mentioned above in bold letters. If so, you have obviously removed them already and should no more see the notification at startup. In this case there is nothing left to do.

Report back before you do anything else to prevent further trouble.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To all,

Thank you for your help. At best, I guess that I don't understand how these things show up on my computer without taking up some kind of valuable space, but I'll try to find that out somehow (unless you can give me a link to something that explains it). Until I learn about this phenomenon, I won't do anything rash. Ironically, while pursuing this "VirtualBox" stuff, I found what seems to be hundreds of things in the "Not installed" panel before I typed in "VirtualBox".

Still learning how to use a computer,
BoDill

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

Again, To All,

For the benefit of anyone reading these posts who may be as backward as I am about computer technology, simply Google "Linux repositories" to get a variety of understandable explanations.

Thanks again, for your expertise and your patience,
BoDill

Return to “Newbie Questions”