E-mail provider / E-mail-account ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

E-mail provider / E-mail-account ?

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Hello

I wonder :

What E-mail provider /E-mail-account do you use ?

(I am not talking about Thunderbird)

But a E-mail like G-mail. Just another one

Have you one, that you can recommend ?
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint, 19,3 Tricia * MATE *

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: E-mail provider / E-mail-account ?

Post by BigEasy »

Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

EmpireITtech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by EmpireITtech »

I have Gmail (2 accounts), Hotmail/Outlook, Yahoo and Mail.com

I would recommend Gmail or Outlook imo bc of the apps and storage available to you from them. But really it doesn't matter, it's all up to you. The reason I have multiple is so my main one is not clogged with spam emails, I use the others to sign up for things.
Linux: Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon 64-Bit

Box 1: Intel Core 2 Quad | 8gb RAM | 500gb WD 7200rpm | nVidia Geforce GTS250
Box 2: Intel Core i3-3240 | 4gb RAM | 1tb WD 7200rpm | AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4550

Pants: 32x30

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I use the email service that my web hosting provider offers me. The advantage is that my email address never needs to change unless I want it to. And I can use it through their webmail interface or through my email client (Sea Monkey Mail).

I avoid Google like the plague, and so I do also not use their email.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

gmx.com, openmailbox.org, fastmail.com and 1 gmail account for my android, youtube and picasa
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Only e-mail provider, which don't collect data and provide highest security. Of course you don't get it for free, but 1 € per month isn't too much. In Germany Mailbo.org and Posteo have the highest reputation.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Cosmo. wrote:In Germany Mailbo.org and Posteo have the highest reputation.
Must be Mailbox.org ;)
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

2 permanent provider's email accounts, 15 years old now, for serious/business correspondence.
1 generic gmail for android box, phone, youtube...
1 GMX.com account (with multiple aliases) for everything else - forums, shopping, services...

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Jørn:
What are you looking for?
Jørn Rudolph wrote:But a E-mail like G-mail. Just another one
too broad. There's 1000s of email providers.
Recommend for what?

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I have had the same msn.com email address for at least the last 22 years. No need to ever change an email address, IMO.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

HI "Jørn Rudolph",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) I use the excellent free Google Mail for my main email accounts (gmail.com) because it works really well, and they have a lot of really great options available (Google Docs, Calendar, Drive (cloud storage), voice, Hangouts, "play" (music), YouTube, maps, much more, etc...) all linked to people who use their service which makes using these services easier and more convenient. Not to mention, that Linux Mint also has numerous really good software options that can access and use the various Google Mail services.

https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?serv ... 97e87c64d9

2.) Obviously, if you have a website & web hosting, then you will also have email options through that, but you have to set them up (easy). And, you can get free website and free web hosting, if you know where to look (Google or Yahoo it), or search this forum.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

A friend in France gave me this one: netcourrier.com
You can set it to you country like netc.fr or netcourrier.com or netcourrier.fr for example
I live in NZ and it works really well, never any spam or rubbish in my mailbox.
Regards, Johanna

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

Rocky Bennett wrote:I have had the same msn.com email address for at least the last 22 years. No need to ever change an email address, IMO.
in my case, it's 17 years - for both the eMail from my isp & the yahoo eMail account.
-- things do go in waves, sometimes one is getting spammed, whilst the other is A.ok .
at one stage, there was a dedicated eMail for sites that required an eMail but were most likely to Spam it.
but, it's not used as much, these days.

the yahoo eMail is the better account, for dealing with Spam IMHO
- better than Gmail, too
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 »

Jørn Rudolph wrote:Hello

I wonder :

What E-mail provider /E-mail-account do you use ?

(I am not talking about Thunderbird)

But a E-mail like G-mail. Just another one

Have you one, that you can recommend ?
It depends on your preferences and lifestyle :P

Gmail: You cannot go wrong choosing Gmail if you are an Android Phone/Chromebook user, you will be amazed with the level of integration that you will get, specially if you use Google Chrome in your PC. If you ever want to download your data from their services just go to: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout. Bonus: GNOME desktop integrates with your Google account and even can access Google Drive from Nautilus.

Live/MSN: You will choose this blue side when you are a Windows Phone/8/10 user. It will integrate with your Phone, it will give you access to Windows App Store , OneDrive, login into your Windows 10, Xbox, etc.

Yahoo: Is great too but I don't use it since 2006, there is no Operating System attached to it.

Kolab: This is what you are "supposed" to use when you are concern about your privacy and, worried about the US government? https://kolabnow.com/cockpit/index however it is not free of charge.

Apple ID: I don't know anything about it, Does it have an email service? if so and you are an Apple guy, then you should stick with it.

When you are about to choose a side, make sure that you can access their services from your favorite OS. E.g.: a bad combo is iCloud + Linux + Samsung Phone if you do this you will have a lot of homework to do :lol:

Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 »

I had to get a gmail account (suppose I could have used a different one) because some forums automatically throw out .co.za email adresses when you try to register :lol:

Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 »

I had to get a gmail account (suppose I could have used a different one) because some forums automatically throw out .co.za email adresses when you try to register :lol:

OlGreybeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OlGreybeard »

If you do not mind using a WEBMAIL type interface. TUTANOTA and PROTONMAIL - Both are fully encrypted. Proton is still officially in Beta but goes live on Jan 26-ish.

I'd not use Google if you paid me - Even on Android.

Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

I thank you ALL for your advices ...
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint, 19,3 Tricia * MATE *

Return to “Newbie Questions”