Trying Linux Mint KDE on Cinnamon install?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Trying Linux Mint KDE on Cinnamon install?

Post by johnb0647 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 pm

I've been using LM Cinnamon exclusively for several years, currently 17.3.

I've been reading about KDE and some of the features seem to match the way I work/think better. I'd like to try it without burning my bridges and/or really clogging up my machine with stuff that will be hard to get rid of if I decide against using KDE permanently. It would be a big PRO if I could easily remove Cinnamon if I decided to stay with KDE or vice versa.

Data is no problem since I maintain /home on a stand alone partition.

I see 3 options:

1. Clean Install of LM KDE in a separate partition linking it to my /home partition for access to all my files.
PRO: Easy cleanup if I stay with Cinnamon.
CON: Possible problem encountered once before: KDE assigns me a different UID number.
At one time people advised against different distro's using the same HOME config area. May be old news.
CON: Re-install/config all apps

2. Install LM KDE as a second GUI on my current LM and only use it from a second login ID created only for the purpose.
PRO: easier to clean up if I stay with Cinnamon
CON: access to current files. Maybe handle with a group of me-1 and me-2.

3. Install LM KDE as a second GUI on my current LM and select which one I want to use when I log in.
People say this is a "no brainer" but "no brainers" make me uncomfortable when I don't understand all issues.
CON: ??? Will my HOME folder get clogged or Cinnamon confused with lots of hidden settings that
might be tough to get rid of if I do not change completely to KDE.

Any comments welcome.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Trying Linux Mint KDE on Cinnamon install?

Post by all41 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Mixing KDE and Cinnamon--danger zone
Best to keep them entirely separated.
I like running KDE loaded entirely to ram. It runs hyper-speed without a hard drive at all,
but I do refer it's outputs it to a common partition

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:30 am

Here is a 4th option if it goes about trying.

Install the KDE edition in a virtual machine, using VirtualBox.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:38 am

I would not try installing KDE as an alternate Desktop with Cinnamon.
As all41 said, "Mixing KDE and Cinnamon--danger zone."

You would not want to install KDE using the same /home partition as Cinnamon. That is a "danger zone" path, as well.
The utilities and desktop configuration for KDE are so unique to KDE that they should not be mixed into a shared /home partition.
You can use Cinnamon's /home partition as a DATA partition in KDE >
Create a /data partition with symlinks - xenopeek
HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition - gold_finger

I am running Cinnamon, and am interested in giving KDE a thorough test, also - but I want to wait for Mint 18, which will use the new Plasma 5 KDE.
http://www.tecmint.com/install-kde-plasma-5-in-linux/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Having done this in a previous incarnation of Mint, I can third the opinion that it is not a good idea. I then compounded things by adding lxde into the mix.

Ugly is too mild a word for the resulting chimera, and the overhead was brutal.

I'd suggest creating two new partitions, one for Mint KDE and a separate /home to go with it. Multi-boot, and copy your data from the Cinnamon /home to your KDE /home.

This keeps things nicely compartmented, and if you run into problems with KDE (or break it), you will have a perfectly usable Cinnamon install to work from, and vice-versa.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:00 am

johnb0647 wrote:... Data is no problem since I maintain /home on a stand alone partition....
Actually I'm not convinced that'd be true. Your user settings are stored in /home.

Also what the others said. Installing multiple DEs is a bad idea. There are few combinations I'd do (and I'm increasingly iffy on those), and cinnamon plus KDE is definitely not one of them.

Another option, which is the one I'd do first as long as the computer supports booting from a USB stick, is to just download the mint KDE iso and then try it in a live boot from USB. It needs to be from a usb stick for testing/trying out. Booting from the DVD drive is just way too slow to get a feel for things, even on very fast computers.

Installing multiple DEs is a very common beginner mistake. Many post on forums saying they just did it and it works great. Fewer admit later they borked things.

johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnb0647 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:41 am

I'm feelin' it now.

I banged up a foot and so had a day with nothing to do so I went ahead and installed the latest Kubuntu (w/ Plasma5) on a separate partition and let it create a local /home since I only intended to play.

Boy the Linux Mint guys were right when they said Plasma5 is not ready for prime time unless you have the latest hardware. "P5 and the 4.x kernal have problems if you have older hardware", they said......YEAH! Only I didn't think a two year old Gigabyte mb with a quad core and 8GB RAM would be classified as "older hardware".

So the display is chopping up and exploding all over the place. krunner and/or plasma report themselves crashed every 5 minutes or so. Chromium gets lost for minutes at a time.

What did work I did like. The "panels" are so flexible that I can probably do without Cairo Dock. krunner, when working, is a joy or it will be when I can figure out how to change the hot keys to something I can do right handed. I like Dolphin, too.
So I guess I'll be back to KDE.... sooner or later. Question is am I interested enough to scrap this install and try LM KDE w/ P4 and the older kernal or................. just stick with Cinnamon for a few months? Gotta think about it.

Thanks for the advice.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:36 am

johnb0647 wrote: Boy the Linux Mint guys were right when they said Plasma5 is not ready for prime time unless you have the latest hardware. "P5 and the 4.x kernal have problems if you have older hardware", they said......YEAH! Only I didn't think a two year old Gigabyte mb with a quad core and 8GB RAM would be classified as "older hardware".
I installed Netrunner 15 (KDE with Plasma 5) and it runs very well on my 4 year old Gigabyte mb with a quad core and 8GB RAM. I don't know why you would have problems with Kubuntu. I haven't used it to any extent yet, tho, because Netrunner 15 is based on Kubuntu 14.10 which is no longer supported, and I haven't bothered to upgrade it yet to Netrunner 17.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm

austin.texas wrote:
johnb0647 wrote: Boy the Linux Mint guys were right when they said Plasma5 is not ready for prime time unless you have the latest hardware. "P5 and the 4.x kernal have problems if you have older hardware", they said......YEAH! Only I didn't think a two year old Gigabyte mb with a quad core and 8GB RAM would be classified as "older hardware".
I installed Netrunner 15 (KDE with Plasma 5) and it runs very well on my 4 year old Gigabyte mb with a quad core and 8GB RAM. I don't know why you would have problems with Kubuntu. I haven't used it to any extent yet, tho, because Netrunner 15 is based on Kubuntu 14.10 which is no longer supported, and I haven't bothered to upgrade it yet to Netrunner 17.
Maybe it's the kernel borking things up...

John, since you've got a free pair of partitions to play with, why not install Mint KDE with Plasma 4 and see if you like it? Bounce back and forth, try a few things (if you break something, then you'll still have the other DE still up and running, so you won't lose any productivity).

mesnitu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mesnitu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Well, I've run from kde5 in opensuse, because it was crash after crash. Not even in windows I had so much crashes.
There are good karma users, that report that they run kde5 with no issues, no crashes.
Not my case.
Just discover cinnamon. Nemo has the split functionality, and a terminal, so quiet good. It works.
I've always used kde, since 3, big fan. It was always buggy, but that was Kde, a lot of options, configurations, so it was natural to have some bugs, but one could work.
For me now it's useless.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:28 pm

I agree that nemo, gedit and term are kickbutt... frankly, I'm not a fan of kstuff. I just like the DE and its flexibility.

Return to “Newbie Questions”