[SOLVED] Some advise Please - Mint 17 for an OLDish Netbook.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
OlGreybeard
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Some advise Please - Mint 17 for an OLDish Netbook.

Post by OlGreybeard » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:43 am

Hi All

I have been using Mint with the MATE desktop since Mint13. This on various machines both 32 and 64 bit. I'm a fan - no doubt at all.

However the latest couple of releases of Mint17 have started to (apparently) impact performance on a small Samsung N130 Netbook I use for casual stuff. Basically email (Thunderbird with Enigmail) and browsing (Firefox). Firefox has few addons - basically all security.

The net book is dual boot as I need Win7-Starter for some programs to modify a motorcycle ECU. So I have Daniel Richters Grub customiser in.

It's a dual core 1.6Ghz Atom with 1GB RAM. And try as I might I cannot find any 2GB ram modules to fit.

So I've been looking at the alternatives via Live-CD (OK Live-USB)

AESTHETICS ASIDE - which of the MINT versions is LIGHTEST?
I know Xfce looks very similar to Mate but this more about performance than looks.

Yes - I suppose I could go back to an older version of Mint but that sort of defeats the point imo. As would moving to Puppy/Peppermint etc. I like Mint.

I would appreciate any advice/pointers.

Ol Grey Beard.
Last edited by OlGreybeard on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Some advise Please - Mint 17 for an OLDish Netbook.

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:15 am

Xfce is the most lightweight of them all, so Mint 17.3 Xfce (32-bit). Definitely.

Get it here:
http://reflection.oss.ou.edu/linuxmint/ ... -32bit.iso
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

OlGreybeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OlGreybeard » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:21 am

Pjotr wrote:Xfce is the most lightweight of them all, so Mint 17.3 Xfce (32-bit). Definitely.
Thank you for the fast reply. Much appreciated.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:48 am

I know you said you'd like to stick with Mint, but if Xfce version doesn't improve things over Mate (a distinct possibility since both are similarly light on resource usage) you may want to consider something like AntiX. That will be significantly lighter on resource usage. Admittedly, it is not as easy to use as Mint and will take some time to get used to, but it will improve performance. Maybe you could set it up as a dual-boot for a while until you're comfortable enough with it to switch entirely.

Another good lightweight option might be LXLE. Have a look at that too.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:34 am

Staying with mint, have you tried LMDE Mate? Sometimes LMDE performs better orn 32-bit machines.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

OlGreybeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OlGreybeard » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:11 pm

XFCE-Mint seems fine for now. Everything works - Installed 17.2 and upgraded to 17.3 with no hassle and in many ways I almost prefer it to MATE. Yes it's dull and uninspiring - but then again so are my needs on this hardware. For now it's a problem SOLVED.

I did look at LXLE and Peppermint but had some issues running them Live. Also Trisquel-mini. Lubuntu kept crashing.

Again - my thanks

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED] Some advise Please - Mint 17 for an OLDish Netb

Post by gold_finger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:42 am

OlGreybeard wrote:XFCE-Mint seems fine for now.

Yes it's dull and uninspiring - but...
Xfce is actually very customizeable allowing you to change appearance, etc. to a surprising degree if you ever feel the need to.

If you've got some spare time, an excellent example of an Xfce distro fully pimped-out is Voyager. Burn a version or two of that one to a dvd/usb and boot it up. You'll be amazed that it's an Xfce-based OS you're looking at! I'd guess that it too will run on your netbook, but if you have a more powerful computer available use that instead to test it out. (From a usb stick, it'll be a more pleasant testing environment on a more powerful computer.)

P.s. Their website is in French, but there is a Google Translate button on it that allows you to translate page to your language if necessary.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”