Notification applet not showing new notifications

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Notification applet not showing new notifications

Post by gibbs1984 »

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit and this issue has only appeared since upgrading to 17.3.

The notification applet doesn't show any notifications when it should. If an email comes it nothing appears, if I play music and change tracks nothing appears so it's not an issue with 1 application but just the applet.

I don't get the notifications in the top right hand corner either, I can go to Settings and display a test notification but it still doesn't work with other apps.

Anyone else have this issue?
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Notification applet not showing new notifications

Post by Cosmo. »

Missing notifications for Thunderbird is a known problem. You didn't tell any program names, so nothing can be said about it.

Disable your network and re-enable it again. You should in both cases get a notification, provided you did not disable it somewhere in the past.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Playing music located on my computer through Banshee doesn't show notifications either, can't see that being a network issue.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You misunderstood: My advice has been given, because a notification should get come regardless of an additional program.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Disabling my network showed the notifications fine so it seems to be just 3rd party applications.

Disabling it and reconnecting it didn't seem to work either although I haven't restarted the computer.

Return to “Newbie Questions”