Mint 17.3 Cinnamon crashing on Dell with 512MB of RAM

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
WaldoPepper
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17.3 Cinnamon crashing on Dell with 512MB of RAM

Post by WaldoPepper » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:43 am

I have a similar problem with Cinnamon crashing. I am still trying to work with the ISO disk. The screen/desktop for Cinnamon shows up split and distorted, and then Cinnamon will crash and I have limited functionality. Foxfire appears to work and I can get to the internet. Asking for a restart of Cinnamon does not work - it crashes again. Before the first crash occurence, I have a small icon in the taskbar from which I can open terminal. After the crash, I can get to terminal using ctrl-alt-F2 and can run inxi and lspci. Everything appears OK. (Not sure how to display that here. Not sure how to get out of Terminal or how to capture/send the command output.) I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with 512 RAM and the graphics are integrated graphics - no separate card. The MD5 is correct on the ISO version. I have seen the suggestions to reload/re-burn, to try Xfce (not sure what that is), or to get the MATE version instead of Cinnamon. I will have the RAM up to 2GB in about a week.

Any suggestions?
Any success from dindong?

EDIT:

I know what xfce is now. :oops:
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=212904#p1110689

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint 17.3 Cinnamon crashing on Dell with 512MB of RAM

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 am

WaldoPepper, it seems more than likely that the added RAM will fix your problems. And otherwise, you could still choose a lighter version of Mint. Cinnamon is the heaviest and needs the most RAM of all four versions.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:43 am

Hello, WaldoPepper.
I have a similar problem with Cinnamon crashing. [...] I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with 512 RAM and the graphics are integrated graphics [...] I will have the RAM up to 2GB in about a week.
  1. With 512 MB of RAM you will get nowhere. Definitely not with Mint 17.2 desktop Cinnamon. Cinnamon and KDE require graphics cards that support 3D hardware support.
  2. Wait till you have increased your RAM to 2 GB. No use spending your time on any further attempts before this has happened.
  3. As this seems to be a very old machine, my advice will be to try Mint 17.3 32-bit xfce and/or Mint 17.3 32-bit Mate only. Forget about the desktops of Cinnamon and KDE, will bring no joy on pre-world-war II machines.
Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.2 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

WaldoPepper
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17.3 Cinnamon - Absolutely nothing works properly,

Post by WaldoPepper » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 am

Referring to the release notes for 17.3

Min RAM requirements:
Cinnamon 512MB
MATE 512 MB
KDE 2 GB
XFCe 512 MB

One would conclude that KDE is the big hog, and that the other three were OK (barely) at 512. I think it is worthwhile to try the XFCE (from ISO disc) as suggested to see if my results improve (at least until I get the higher RAM installed). I am still working with the ISO disc and may not install on the HD until the RAM is increased.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:28 am

WaldoPepper wrote:Referring to the release notes for 17.3

Min RAM requirements:
Cinnamon 512MB
MATE 512 MB
KDE 2 GB
XFCe 512 MB

One would conclude that KDE is the big hog, and that the other three were OK (barely) at 512. I think it is worthwhile to try the XFCE (from ISO disc) as suggested to see if my results improve (at least until I get the higher RAM installed). I am still working with the ISO disc and may not install on the HD until the RAM is increased.
Those minimal RAM requirements for Cinnamon and Mate are *cough* extremely optimistic (let's put it very, very mildly). :evil:

There's a difference between "will work alright (but will be extremely slow and sluggish, causing headaches, stress and frustration)" and "will work reasonably well".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:14 pm

I could run MATE on half gig of RAM with SWAP of another GB, but I can't understand why Cinnamon is listed at the same minimum.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

WaldoPepper
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17.3 Cinnamon - Absolutely nothing works properly,

Post by WaldoPepper » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:04 pm

The XFCE version appears to load correctly from the ISO disc now with the 512 RAM. I may try the cinnamon when I have the full 2GB RAM, but for now I can explore without installation to the HD.

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Agree with others who suggested your problems are probably due to a bad installation disk burn or image file. I don't care what the release notes say for minimum system requirements but I know for a fact that 512 MB of RAM is too little for something as graphics intensive as Cinnamon/Gnome 3.x or KDE 4.x/5.x, not to mention that your ancient graphics chip wasn't designed for DEs that require 3D acceleration. Even MATE is getting a bit heavy these days for such a small amount of RAM. I'd even go so far as to suggest that you even skip XFCe and go straight to LMDE or if you prefer a modern KDE-esque look then try the nifty LXQt desktop environment which is basically LMDE but based on the Qt tool kit used to build KDE. Another often forgotten lightweight option, especially given MATE's popularity, is the Trinity desktop which is a fork of the now deprecated KDE 3.x desktop environment. I've looked at Trinity recently on a friend's machine and was pleasantly surprised with the updates and features being implemented by the Trinity team. There are instructions for installing Trinity on Ubuntu (which should work for Mint) if you Google it. Good luck!
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
86.5 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Linux Mint 18.2 MATE 1.18 +Compiz
Kernel 4.09 LTS

cypherdtraitor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cypherdtraitor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:49 am

I have found that some Linuxes just don't play well with some machines.

I really like linux mint, but you may save some stress by running another mature desktop Linux which has a different build.

I would try these:

1. Straight Debian with a light desktop environment like XFCE. Linux Mint is built on Debian, so Debian may be a more stable alternative for you.

2. OpenSUSE: Its completely separate from Debian, but still has a great installer (YAST). Maybe their build fixes your problems. Only downside is it uses the Plasma desktop environment. You'll need to turn off the desktop prettiness to get it to run smoothly.

3. Fedora offers a "spin" built with XFCE and another built on LXDE here. Again, totally new build, maybe it will work on your machine.

George Stamford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by George Stamford » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:50 am

What happened about the original OP, Dindong, before Waldo hijacked the thread?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:30 am

Hi, George,
do not really know. Maybe he has left the Linux Mint world driven by frustration? He created that thread and has not been seen for the past 12 days. Not a single answer in his own thread.
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.2 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Newbie Questions”