Is Adobe Flash Safe to use?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
greenday
Level 1
Level 1

Is Adobe Flash Safe to use?

Post by greenday »

I keep getting messages to say that something has been blocked because I am using an out of date version of Adobe Flash Player and is asking me to update it to the latest version but I seem to remember reading somewhere that using Flash can make your Computer Vulnerable.

Any suggestions or ideas of what I should do about that?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Is Adobe Flash Safe to use?

Post by xenopeek »

The current version of Adobe Flash for Linux is 11.2.202.559 (https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/). That is also the version available of Linux Mint 13 & 17.x: (http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/flas ... -installer and http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/flashplugin-installer). You can upgrade these if you haven't yet through Update Manager (the shield icon in your status area on the panel; lower right of your screen).

Note that Adobe only support Flash release 11.2.x on Linux. The latest release of Flash is 20.x. If you need that release the easiest way is to install Google Chrome, as Google has an agreement with Adobe and they ship the latest Flash release with Google Chrome on Linux. Alternatively you can also install Chromium and add the PepperFlash plugin (how the Flash plugin is called on Google Chrome). You can with some hacking also use that Firefox but that isn't very safe; Firefox doesn't sandbox plugins on Linux (yet).
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Honestly, flash is not that secure. Each new version corrects vulnerabilities, but it's only a small effort until a new vulnerability is discovered. If you find the release dates for the last 10 versions, you would be surprised.

The best would be that you disable Flash and try to leave without it. Most websites will work perfectly (or even better), some will still need flash.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
hux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hux »

I just wish everything flash was somehow converted to HTML5 or better so we could stop this buggy unsecured software from ever harming our computers again!
Bet we will look back at flash and laugh that we still used it even thou we knew all the faculties.

Don't use flash unless you got absolutely no other alternatives!
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

hux wrote: Don't use flash unless you got absolutely no other alternatives!
Flash is also disabled on my side. I need it once or twice a month for a (probably not interesting) website. Otherwise I can live without it. And to my biggest surprise some websites work better without flash. Dailymotion videos are being played without transforming my laptop into a heater for example. :wink:
Fragezeichen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fragezeichen »

Also, Adobe itself has pronounced Flash dead and has advised its customers to switch to HTML 5.
Seff
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seff »

Fragezeichen wrote:Also, Adobe itself has pronounced Flash dead and has advised its customers to switch to HTML 5.
How does one do that?
Mint "Rafaela" Cinnamon x64
Satellite L755D
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Disable the flash pluggin in Firefox and you will immediately be reverted to HTML5. :wink:
Fragezeichen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fragezeichen »

Seff wrote:
Fragezeichen wrote:Also, Adobe itself has pronounced Flash dead and has advised its customers to switch to HTML 5.
How does one do that?
Well, Adobe has told people creating web animations using their software to switch to HTML 5...

You can just disable the flash plugin as "killer de bug" advised and you'll see the HTML 5 version if available..
Note that a lot of websites still use flash only tho..
Seff
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seff »

Thank you.
Mint "Rafaela" Cinnamon x64
Satellite L755D
greenday
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greenday »

Hi Guys

Thanks to you all for your help and advice.

Music Videos are my thing (You Tube) and I kept getting prompted to install 'Flash' as otherwise they were blocked and didn't display and also the Picture was breaking up and distorting when Mirroring with 2 X 50 inch LCD TV's

Now that I have turned off 'Flash' its reverted to using HTML just like all of you said.

The 'Flickering' has now disappeared and its working better than ever.

Return to “Newbie Questions”