Paid for CD's

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Silver Badger
Level 1
Level 1

Paid for CD's

Post by Silver Badger » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50 am

I thought, ok, I'll reload Windows XP from my back-up.( I only use it for digital art). The thing won't load windows now as a file is corrupt. My question is; if I buy a disc will the laptop boot from the disc and install Mint on the laptop. I'm guessing that's too easy and it won't. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Paid for CD's

Post by Oscar799 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:43 am

Hello,
You can buy a disk from here if you wish https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/l ... =linuxmint
Alternately you can download an ISO from here free of charge http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
You can get a free userguide too http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34 pm

Silver Badger wrote:My question is; if I buy a disc will the laptop boot from the disc
Yes. The DVD you buy will boot. It is that easy.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:37 pm

As Oscar799 mentioned, you don't need to pay for the CD. Ask a friend to burn it on a DVD for you. Or to prepare a live USB stick if your computer can boot from USB sticks. It's that easy.

Ah, one more thing. When you have used the CD/DVD/USB stick to install the system, you can give it to a friend. The license key is valid for several computer. :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:30 pm

"Re: Paid for CD's" Mint is on a DVD so check your machine's optical drive says DVD on it.

EXTRA Has anyone purchased a Mint distribution recently from OSdisk? Are they pressed (silver coloured = high-contrast = good on older drives) or recorded (brown coloured = lower contrast = may not work on older drives)?
In Chapter One, Boron slays the entire Marketing Department by explaining Asynchronous Protocols.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Ok some things you need to know,
if you have a clean hard-drive and wish to load windows you will first have to install your motherboard drivers as these are not included in windows , You don't have to install motherboard drivers for linux as the common ones are included in the core.
Sounds like your machine is quite old, it may be not be suitable for mint cinnamon desktop safest bet is mate or xfce older graphics can't cope with the demand of cinnamon as it is resource hungry

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

Return to “Newbie Questions”