MS Office with a dual operating system

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Alan Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

MS Office with a dual operating system

Post by Alan Reynolds »

I want buy a new laptop. It seems impossible to get a new machine without windows 10 already installed. I know that Linux Mint can be installed as a dual OS but if MS Office pre-installed will Linux be able to see it if Wine is also installed. Sorry about the stupid question but if I buy a new machine and remove Windows the warranty is negated. If only the manufacturers would supply laptops with the OS of your choice.
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MS Office with a dual operating system

Post by Radish »

I'm not entirely clear on the situation you are trying to describe. However, if you are saying you would have MS Office installed in a Windows 10 (or Windows anything) environment - in other words in Windows own partition - and you would have Mint installed on another partition (i.e. you are dual-booting the machine) then Wine would definitely not be able to in any way utilise the MS Office installed on the Windows partition. Wine doesn't and can't work in that way. The only way Wine would be able to utilise MS Office would be if MS Office were installed into Wine in the Linux environment. That said, my own experience of Wine is that it isn't all that it is cracked up to be. With a recent version of MS Office (as would come on a new laptop) I doubt very much if you would be able to get it working satisfactorily in Linux via Wine.

In any case, you could get round the issue of having Windows 10 by just taking out the hard-drive it is installed on. Then buy a new hard-drive and put that in the laptop - and just install Mint to that new hard-drive. In this way you have Windows 10 off on a drive of its own and if ever there is an issue regarding warranty just put that drive back in the machine and deal with your warranty issue from there.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
Alan Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alan Reynolds »

Thanks. Sound advice!
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

refurbished Dell i5 laptop with 15.6" display $229! No OS!

Also, Dell sells some WIn 7 machines (new).

I wouldn't waste my time with MS Office under Wine - it might (or might not) be do-able but it won't be easy in either case... Libre Office is an excellent substitute...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

I should add that if you really must have MS Office for some reason then you can install Virtualbox into your Linux setup and then make a Windows virtual machine and install MS Office in the Windows virtual machine. Of course, you would need install disks and valid licence registration keys for both Windows and MS Office to do this. I have a Windows XP virtual machine with Office 2003 installed just for the odd occasions when I must have access to MS Office. (In my opinion this is a far better option than dual-booting Windows/Linux.)

As Reorx says, LibreOffice is pretty good - in some ways I find it better than MS Office.
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Alan Reynolds",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) Since you should also have an external USB hard drive, or a large enough USB flash drive, for backing up any computer system anyway, you can make an image of the current hard drive using "Clonezilla", or another hard drive imaging program, to the external drive. That way you can restore that laptop's drive to its original state any time you want.

- Obviously, if you can afford it, getting another laptop hard drive to use instead of this original one, would be great too - as was already suggested.

2.) You can always install Linux Mint along side of Ms Windows as a dual boot system. There are considerations when this is done with Ms Wndows 10, so read the forum posts on that and the Mint release notes.

3.) Personally, I would make the small effort to use the excellent Linux programs LibreOffice, or Calligra, or AbiWord, as a replacement for MS Office instead of trying to install it under Linux "Wine". Or, Install VirtualBox, then install MS Windows into that, and you can run any MS Windows applications while still in Linux Mint. You can also use the online MS Office, and or Google's Docs, ....

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Newbie Questions”