[SOLVED] Terminal question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Terminal question

Post by Ozo »

I am trying to install Solaar and when I type the text into the terminal it asks for my password. When I type my password it does not appear. What am I missing? This is my first attempt to enter something into the terminal. I am using Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon.
Last edited by Ozo on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Terminal question

Post by WharfRat »

Ozo wrote:I am trying to install Solaar and when I type the text into the terminal it asks for my password. When I type my password it does not appear. What am I missing? This is my first attempt to enter something into the terminal. I am using Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon.
There's no echo back to the terminal when entering your password.
ImageImage
Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo »

I am a newbie. By echo I assume that I will not see the password. I type it but the cursor just strobes and the action will not proceed after pressing enter.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Ozo wrote: By echo I assume that I will not see the password. I type it but the cursor just strobes
That is normal. You will not get any visible response.
Ozo wrote: and the action will not proceed after pressing enter.
Now that may indicate some kind of problem.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fragezeichen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fragezeichen »

You will not see your password when entering it in the terminal. This is completely normal.

Are you sure you have entered it correctly?
Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo »

I was in error. It worked just fine and I downloaded Solaar but it was unnecessary as the unifying receiver I have plugged in is working just fine without it. I bought another unifying receiver for a second computer which would not work and I hoped the Solaar download would be able to fix that but Solaar does not recognize it. I will just have to swap the receiver to the other computer each time I use it.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You need solaar only for pairing the device and the receiver. If this is done, the pairing will remain, regardless of the computer, where you use it. If you can do pairing with another computer, you do not need solaar.
Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo »

I have a Logitech unifying receiver which works fine with both Windows and Linux but I have to swap the receiver each time I swap computers. I bought another unifying receiver but it would not work with either Windows or Linux computer so I got Solaar so I might use the receiver on the Linux computer but it (Solaar) does not see the new receiver even though it does see the original receiver. I have sent the receiver back three times but none work. I have decided to forget that plan and get a new wireless keyboard/touchpad for one computer so now I will have keyboard and mouse for both. The new mini keyboard/pad is no more money than the receiver.

Return to “Newbie Questions”