Achieving RDP access with Mint 17.2 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Professor_k
Level 1
Level 1

Achieving RDP access with Mint 17.2 Cinnamon

Post by Professor_k » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Hello all, I'm trying out Linux by way of the Mint variety coming from a Windows background, and have encountered an issue with getting my mint installation working in the way I want it to which I hope the mint community can help or advise upon. I am running Mint 17.2 cinnamon in a Windows Server 2K8 VM.

I would like to be able to remotely login into the desktop (console session) of my Mint cinnamon installation using RDP in the same way as I do with my windows clients.

I had done a bit of initial research and understood that xrdp is the tool to install alongside a vnc server, for which I have chosen tightvnc. I then subsequently learned that xrdp is not compatible with the Cinnamon desktop environment as it is a 3d environment and that a 2d DE like Mate or Xfce should be used. :!:

I understand that multiple DE's can reside on a linux/mint installation, however if I were to install Mate alongside the default cinnamon install, would I be able to then use xrdp or would I have to remove cinnamon and only have a single DE (e.g. Just Mate for instance)?

If I can keep both DE's, is it just a case of disabling desktop sharing from Cinnamon and enabling it on Mate or leave it as it is? How would it work?

I really do wish to use RDP as all of my existing estate is windows based, I dont wish to start installing other remote servers and clients like teamviewer etc etc. :mrgreen:

Many thanks in advance,

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Achieving RDP access with Mint 17.2 Cinnamon

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:13 pm

I don't know much about RDP, but xrdp seems to be just a translation layer between rdp and vnc.

I've NEVER had good results with tightvnc, on ANY platform. Too many bugs and compatibility problems. I always use x11vnc on Linux, to connect with Windows, Mac, and Linux desktops. It even works with my Amiga (though painfully slow over a SLIP connection :) ).

Further, the developer of xrdp seems to suggest Xvnc as the companion for xrdp:

http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/documents/x ... index.html

See here also:

http://ubuntuwiki.net/index.php/Xrdp,_installing

AE2100A
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Achieving RDP access with Mint 17.2 Cinnamon

Post by AE2100A » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:34 am

Hello Professor_k.

I am currently using Linux Mint 17.3, but with regard to your question on Linux Mint 17.2, I don't think there will be a difference. I have been semi successful in using Cinnamon for my Desktop Environment when I sit at the computer (ie console mode). When I remote in using xrdp, I use Mate due to the problems with Cinnamon and xrdp. I achieved this by loading "mint-meta-mate" and "mate-desktop" using "Software Manager" and then editing /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh. The edit is:

Comment out by putting a hash (#) in front of:
. /etc/X11/Xsession
Add at the bottom:
mate-session

You likely will need to restart the xrdp service or reboot.

Regarding the comment above "semi successful". I am experiencing another issue once I am connected which sometimes aborts the connection. Hopefully, your install won't experience that issue.

Return to “Newbie Questions”