Virtual Box Can I adjust the memory on the fly?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mintjulip
Level 2
Level 2

Virtual Box Can I adjust the memory on the fly?

Post by mintjulip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Having just built my first Virtual Box, it is working well except for one thing, I could have done with giving it a bit more Virtual memory, as I have got 4mb and only gave it one, which is making it respond a little bit slowly.

Having played around with it, I cannot find a way you can adjust that on the fly, so does that mean that I will have to start all over again and build a new VB and then re install Windows with my Windows Programme?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Virtual Box Can I adjust the memory on the fly?

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:06 pm

You can't adjust that while you have the virtual machine running. But if you have shut down the virtual machine, you can in Settings > System change the amount of memory assigned to it.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:08 pm

As xenopeek said, you can adjust the amount of RAM and of the graphics memory, but only if the VM is shut down.

There can be a problem for Windows guest: The amount of RAM is one of several aspects, from which the activation code depends. The user can the one or other device (in this case virtual device), but only for a limited number of changes. If you exceed this number, Windows will force you for another activation (or stop working). Therefor it is a good idea to create a snapshot beforehand, so that you can go back if needed. Linux systems are not affected by this problem.
This problem is not special for virtual machines, it does also exist for physical machines.

mintjulip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintjulip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:14 pm

xenopeek@cosmo

Many thanks guys, its easy when you know how and virtual box, is amazing!

The programme seems to run better in Linux than it ever did in Windows, so I think that now I can finally kiss Windows goodbye.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:26 pm

mintjulip wrote:The programme seems to run better in Linux than it ever did in Windows
This is caused by the AV-program, that you (usually) run in Windows; this examines - or at least tries to do so - everything what gets written to the disk, probably also what gets read from the disk. Luckily you don't need those software-brake in Linux.

mintjulip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintjulip » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Cosmo

I never knew that.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:29 pm

Cosmo. wrote: The amount of RAM is one of several aspects, from which the activation code depends.
Adding a hard drive, upgrading sound or video card, add/remove RAM, upgrade CPU... any of these can force a reactivation, and is a potential trigger for Windows to refuse access to your own machine.

If you run Windows, then Microsoft owns your computer (or, in this case, your virtual machine), not you.

mintjulip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintjulip » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:06 am

Hi Jim

I only want to run one Windows programme, so all I've done is upped the Ram a little bit, all the Linux free programmes, seem a lot better than me, Libre Office is Awesome!

Return to “Newbie Questions”