Passwords: Isn't ONCE enough?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Passwords: Isn't ONCE enough?

Post by Doug B » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Pepi wrote:
Doug B wrote:
Pjotr wrote: Go back to Windows. Make it quick. On the double. And may you live happily ever after.
Preferably Windows 10! :wink:

I hate that POS :evil:
Why waste your energy hating Windows-forget it and enjoy Mint! :D

Doug

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:36 pm

simplebasics wrote:It is MY pc, not Microsoft's or Linux.
Not true unless you've coded your own OS. Otherwise, it's never completely your own PC. ;)

I've only entered my password once today, besides login, to change a file in /etc/firejail --not something the average user would do day-to-day. But doing what you're talking about would be very much equivalent to logging in as root, a very dangerous proposition.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Coincidentally, this week's DistroWatch Weekly Q&A features another victim being "constantly bombarded by password prompts", and it provides some options to run a desktop environment as root, thus enabling Darwinism to fulfill itself.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:48 pm

JoeFootball wrote:Coincidentally, this week's DistroWatch Weekly Q&A features another victim being "constantly bombarded by password prompts", and it provides some options to run a desktop environment as root, thus enabling Darwinism to fulfill itself.
We don't advocate running as root around Linux.
Password protection prevents "victimization".

There are no victims in Linux.

tmoble
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tmoble » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm

maybe he just has a password protected screensaver? seems a lot more likely than making dozens or hundreds of system changes per day.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I just did a full reinstall this morning (uninstalled one thing too many, with weird symptoms) and, yep, I had to enter a password a few times. Now I have PTSD.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:22 am

simplebasics wrote:... The transition to Linux from Windows is a MAJOR thing, a MAJOR change, and I had to install, and re-install, and look up HOW to install, and find out WHY "terminal" couldn't find my pkgs...
If you're going to rant like that just because of passwords, just wait until you find you can't update anymore because it looks like you messed up your sources list. How many ppas do you have?

cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cogsncogs » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:36 pm

simplebasics wrote:<snip>I liked Linux from the beginning, but then....
I mean, having to enter my password a hundred times a day is beyond ridiculous. And yes, I have searched and searched for an answer. but I can't find it.
I've been tinkering around in Linux for almost 2 years, learning my way around a dozen or so different distros and I've never had to enter my password 10-20 times a day, let alone a hundred. Security, privacy, freedom from worrying about malware, anti-virus and anti-malware updates etc are one of the many reasons I left Windoze.

But, if you feel that you don't want any of that, feel free to go back to M$. :twisted: :wink:

p.s. Having to enter your password to do administrative tasks is to ensure that you and only you, the user, can perform such tasks on your machine. I don't know what else to say. :roll:
eMachines EL1852G-52w:
LM19.1 Xfce
Kubuntu 18.04.2
LM18.3 Cinnamon
Ubuntu 14.04
PepermintOS 6
LM18.3 KDE
Xubuntu 14.04
Ubuntu 16.04.2 Mate

PeterRJG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterRJG » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:12 am

To the OP (if you're still here after the copyleft zealot assault you've received). If you don't like a Linux distro that enforces security on you at the user level, try one of the Puppies. http://puppylinux.com/ Rarely ever type a password in again...

Practically does everything as root.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:50 am

PeterRJG wrote:copyleft zealot assault
Sigh.... I utterly fail to see what this has got to do with copyleft zealotism, because that's about extreme "free and open source" versus "proprietary and closed source". Not at all about the security that the password requirement provides.
If you don't like a Linux distro that enforces security on you at the user level, try one of the Puppies. http://puppylinux.com/ Rarely ever type a password in again...

Practically does everything as root.
Yes, that's why Puppy is too insecure for general use. Don't use it for internet banking and such.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

PeterRJG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeterRJG » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:40 am

Pjotr wrote: Sigh.... I utterly fail to see what this has got to do with copyleft zealotism, because that's about extreme "free and open source" versus "proprietary and closed source". Not at all about the security that the password requirement provides.
Go back through this thread and look at the responses the OP has gotten - references to "M$", "go back to Windows", "you must love Bill" and other assorted rubbish normally associated with extreme advocacy - zealotry. Immaturity, pure and simple. The 1% telling the 99% that the 99% are simple-minded noddies/sheeple because they use a product that came out of Redmond, WA and they should never have strayed into the 1%'s world.

It's the sort of unhelpful piffle that has been spouted on everything from mailing lists to Usenet since Yggdrasil days. I don't know about you, but I first rolled my eyes at a Linux boffin telling a Windows user that they love Bill Gates about 1997. It's no funnier or informative or useful (or insulting) now. It's just stupid.

Some people don't like what the OP has said - and yes, and as you and a million other Linux aficionados know, new users of any Unix or Unix-like OS balk or complain at having to enter a password to do administrative tasks. It's a symptom that won't go away until that probably non-existent day that Microsoft actually enforces separation between the kernel and userland in all breeds of Windows.

So rather than tell the OP that (s)he's a pawn of Microsoft, or to go back to Windows, point them to a FAQ or well-reasoned explanation why enforcing separation between kernel and userland is good for their personal computing habits as some responders have done in a polite manner. Telling them they're ipso facto numbskulls and paid slaves of Microsoft isn't helpful. It wasn't helpful on Usenet in 1995 and it's not helpful now.

Hence my comment about zealotry.

Anyhow, I kind of made a bet with myself that I wouldn't get into it with people on the 'Net any more, so this is my final word on it. No offense was intended, and hopefully none is taken.

Peace. :mrgreen:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 am

PeterRJG wrote:No offense was intended, and hopefully none is taken.
None taken. :)

But if you re-read this thread carefully (and other threads on this forum like it), you'll notice that the people who get firebombed, are the ones with a certain attitude. The newbies who just don't want the password, arrogantly discard or ignore the informed warnings they get from experienced users, and only get annoyed when contradicted.

Newbies who, on the other hand, inquire with an open mind why so "often" a password is being required, are likely to get only friendly, helpful and informative answers. As can be expected: after all, we were all newbies once, and probably asked the very same questions....

Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:24 am

Maybe we need some guidelines about how to request support for the sake of the community.

The OP didn't explain what (s)he was doing, in which scenarios the too many passwords occurred. Then a lot of assumptions came in... I'm also thrilled to know what is that too many password prompt they are referring too.

For those who don't know Windows also have a limited user account (I'm looking at you OP), the limited use account in Windows gets prompt for password authentication as much or even worse than Linux. There are a some Windows applications (including games) that only run with Administrator privileges thus causing annoying password prompts or impossible to use if you are not the administrator.

Let's give our users the freedom that they are looking for, even if it means that you gave them a loaded gun with the safety off.
https://youtu.be/SorryICannotTellYouForumRules

Edit: I hope that the next Password Complainer read this threat, in the mean time I've removed the link to prevent newbies shooting themselves in the foot, for now...
Last edited by Ark987 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:46 am

Ark987 wrote:Let's give our users the freedom that they are looking for, even if it means that you gave them a loaded gun with the safety off.
I respectfully disagree.... Why should we help someone to create a mess? I'm here to help people to get and keep a healthy, secure and stable Linux.

In my opinion, a responsible forum helper should refrain from "helping" a newbie to turn his system into a train wreck, even if that's the explicit wish of the newbie in question.

Furthermore, this forum is a public source of knowledge: unknown others will read what you write, too, and may become nameless victims because of it. I for one wouldn't want that weighing on my conscience....

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 am

Ark987 wrote: Let's give our users the freedom that they are looking for, even if it means that you gave them a loaded gun with the safety off.
Not on this forum. They have google to find such commands/bad ideas.

Aditionnaly, please note that this is clearly stated in the forum rules (that you may need to read again): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314
[5b] No Dangerous Commands

Suggesting commands that could harm or destroy another user's system, even in jest, is strictly off-limits.
I consider the content of this thread as a part of rule 5b.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 am

Freedom for users, who want to do stupid things - OK, let them do what they want.

But this implies also the freedom for supporters, to not join in sharing the knowledge, how to potentially destroy systems by stupidity. It also includes their freedom to argue, why they do not give stupid answers. This is in agreement with the forum posting rules which say:
Suggesting commands that could harm or destroy another user's system, even in jest, is strictly off-limits.
This still leaves the freedom for the user, to do something else - on it's own responsibility.

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Post by coffee412 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Reminds me of the time I was working with one of my clients with a windows box and I had to setup a password for her new user account. She replied "Can you make it something simple?". I kinda looked at her and replied - "Something simple so everyone can guess it?".

:D
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

chipps61

Post by chipps61 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 pm

You people crack me up. This week's distrowatch comments, #38 and #50. Nothing further to say.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to distrowatch

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 pm

chipps61 wrote:You people crack me up. This week's distrowatch comments, #38 and #50. Nothing further to say.
Using a single password enhanced with elevated privileges is what drove some folks to Linux in the first place,
or put them in a position to seek out a remedy for the (in)security issues in that "other OS".
Last edited by Habitual on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm

chipps61 wrote:You people crack me up.
Better get some glue then.

I repeat: it's not the question that causes flames (although I think it shouldn't be answered). It's the attitude of the asker.

Return to “Newbie Questions”