[SOLVED] How do I install Broadcom offline with terminal?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zone9
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] How do I install Broadcom offline with terminal?

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 pm

My HP Stream 11 has no Ethernet connector, what are the terminal commands to install Broadcom drivers?

Mint 17.3 installed just fine. I installed Broadcom drivers had my wifi working via the USB stick, but following install unable to install Broadcom drivers on my machine.

Now I'm stuck

help please
Last edited by zone9 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I install Broadcom drivers offline with terminal?

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Insert the Mint CD (or USB stick, or whatever medium you installed from), and use the Driver Manager to install the Broadcom driver just like you did during install. It will pick up the inserted CD/stick as the source for the driver.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Thank you for quick reply.

Well I put the same USB stick in the HP stream booted up ro the USB stick not the laptop, and installed the Broadcom drivers.

Was able to connect to my wifi.

I shut down removed USB stick and rebooted.

No drivers, no wifi.

On my laptop I tried to install drivers but after I log in message pops up Drivers cannot be installed. Please connect to the internet or insert DVD USB stick.

Where am I going wrong?

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Boot up your system WITHOUT the stick.

Once booted, INSERT the stick, then run the Driver Manager.

EDIT: (I had that backwards. Should be run Driver Manager, THEN insert stick. Sorry.)

It should then offer to install the Broadcom driver from the USB stick. From that point, you can get online and update the rest of your system.
Last edited by LinuxJim on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Ok tried that and message from driver manager is same... drivers cannot be installed Please connect to the internet etc

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:24 pm

zone9 wrote:Ok tried that and message from driver manager is same... drivers cannot be installed Please connect to the internet etc
Ok, let's get the exact sequence nailed down.

Boot machine (no stick).
Open System Settings (no stick).
Start Driver Manager (no stick).
Enter password (no stick).
Wait for error message.
INSERT STICK.
Install driver.

I just tried it here and it works for me.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:41 pm

Followed instructions, got error message, put in the stick and error message still there.

Clicking the ok button on error message no effect.

X'd out of that box and tried driver manager again same thing happened.

I was about to send this message but saw your reply.....

I was checking into the live LM17.3 USB stick inserted into the HP laptop there is the normal sound as its inserted, but the drive doesnt show up when I look at Files.

Seemed odd... My other USB stick with my data shows up when I insert it

Could I have formatted that thumb drive incorrectly when I cleared it off before making it a live 17.3 install stick?

Of course the install went normally except for the driver issue.

scratching my head.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 pm

zone9 wrote:the drive doesnt show up when I look at Files.
This sounds suspect. I don't know what Desktop Environment you're running, but most (if not all) of them in Mint should automount USB drives if you click on one in the sidebar of your file manager.

Perhaps reformat and reimage the stick? If you can't see it from the desktop, then Driver Manager can't see it either...

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 pm

When I wiped the thumb drive I selected format fat32 I believe... I was guessing.. When asked whats the right choice?

But yeah, I'll make a new live usb stick...

Is it correct that I should install the Broadcom drivers on the live usb stick before I start the install?

Thats what I did before

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Its gotten stranger... this time a diferent thumb drive with old data on it, I just selected everything and deleted it all. Then with USB image writer I put 17.3 image on it that went fine. I put it in my desktop which Im using also running LM 17.1 and now that thumb drive doesnt show up in files...

Ok, I'll try burning a live disk...

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm using Cinnamon environment, and used USB Image Writer to make the live USB stick.

There is no setting for persistence I noticed.

I'm baffled as to why a good thumb drive that my desktop (LM17.01) sees in Files, but once I put a 17.3 image on it with USB Image Writer the same desktop cant see it.

I'm still doing a reinstall from a live DVD waiting to see if the drivers I installed will carry over to the laptop.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Same problem when I install from a live DVD

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 am

zone9 wrote: and now that thumb drive doesnt show up in files...
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "show up in files"?

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:22 am

zone9 wrote:I'm using Cinnamon environment, and used USB Image Writer to make the live USB stick.

There is no setting for persistence I noticed.
[...]
I'm still doing a reinstall from a live DVD waiting to see if the drivers I installed will carry over to the laptop.
It doesn't work this way (would be nice if it did though). There is no persistence.

You first install the driver to RAM in order to make it usable during the live install session.

Then, when you boot the newly installed system, you must install the driver once more to get it loaded permanently on the hard disk.

Since you have no way to download the driver from the repositories yet, it needs to come from the install media, which is why you need to re-insert the install media again after booting.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:10 am

LinuxJim wrote:
zone9 wrote: and now that thumb drive doesnt show up in files...
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "show up in files"?
When this thumb drive only had my data on it I could find it in Files and look at all my stuff on that drive on my desktop.

So I moved that data elsewhere it was clear available for the image, but after I installed the 17.3 image with Image Writer on that thumb drive inserting it in my desktop there is the sound, but I cant find it in Files any more. Its "heard but not seen".. lol

So something strange is happening to any thumb drive I put the 17.3 image on.

I am able to bootup the laptop to the thumb drive live and do the install, I can install the Broadcom drivers too, and log into my wifi.

But when I bootup the laptop on the new OS and insert the same thumb drive that I used to install this OS I can hear the sound, but its not visible when I look for it in Files.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:19 am

Ok thanks, no persistence when I use USB image writer.... should I use different software to create my USB stick?

Still wondering why creating a 17.3 USB stick with USB Image Writer makes my thumb drive invisible.

Thank you for your patience with me

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Maybe if you said what Broadcom wireless card you actually have you may be able to find out which driver you really need.

In a ubuntu/mint install with a broadcom wireless card do not just go blindly into Driver Manager and click. It might happily install the wrong driver and bork the wireless. I have personal experience there.

Read this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/55868/in ... ss-drivers

And start again. It's not worth the effort to do this with a live usb because it's a pain to make mint live cds persistent. You can just download the package(s) you need and install them, but you have to be sure any dependencies are also downloaded.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks Rob for chiming in !

After I started the thread I wondered how Terminal is going to download any files if there is no internet connection?

Seems to me I'm going to have to do this via a USB stick with drivers installed?

I appreciate any ideas.

Jim

Hoser Rob wrote:Maybe if you said what Broadcom wireless card you actually have you may be able to find out which driver you really need.

In a ubuntu/mint install with a broadcom wireless card do not just go blindly into Driver Manager and click. It might happily install the wrong driver and bork the wireless. I have personal experience there.

Read this:

And start again. It's not worth the effort to do this with a live usb because it's a pain to make mint live cds persistent. You can just download the package(s) you need and install them, but you have to be sure any dependencies are also downloaded.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:04 am

zone9 wrote:Thanks Rob for chiming in !

After I started the thread I wondered how Terminal is going to download any files if there is no internet connection?

Seems to me I'm going to have to do this via a USB stick with drivers installed?

I appreciate any ideas.

Jim

Hoser Rob wrote:Maybe if you said what Broadcom wireless card you actually have you may be able to find out which driver you really need.

Read this:

Did you read that link and do the steps there? The whole point is to find out what wireless card you actually have. You need to know which driver you need to install. You may need another package to make it work. Or just configuration. This isn't windows. If you don't know what you need, how you do is another subject. Downloading from the terminal is not the point. You'd just have to download the package(s) somehow and install them after copying to your machine.

zone9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zone9 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

Thank you, and yes I read the story, and my question is this... I already had the USB stick connected to my wifi so it seems to me? that the drivers that came with the live USB install were just fine... No?

Return to “Newbie Questions”